Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: Appliance garage receptacle

Related question:

Do receptacles inside appliance garages require GFCI protection?

physis

I think I can guess what an appliance garage is. But I can't find it anywhere. And my best guess is, no, you don't need GFI in an appliance garage. Whatever one is.

Am I really the only one who believes that these terms should be defined?

Edit: And if it's in a XXX.2 section why shouldn't those all be moved to article 100?

[ July 21, 2005, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

physis

Charlie E. mentioned the scope of article 100 today. Is "appliance garage" outside the scope?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

This is just my opinion but if you stop and think about this for a moment it might start to make sense. The (minimum 2, 20 amp) circuits that feed the kitchen counter are considered "small appliance" circuits. While you may not be required to have a receptacle installed inside an appliance garage, it kind of defeats the purpose of having an appliance garage on a kitchen counter top. People like to be able to just pull out their blender and mix up a batch of margaritas, rinse out the container and replace it back in the garage without touching the cord. (Modern conveniences - Go figure !).

Anyway, that blender is a "small appliance" being housed in an appliance garage that is on a kitchen counter. The fact that it is inside an enclosure doesn't mean that the appliances inside it are "fixed in place" like an under-cabinet microwave unit and I believe any appliances that are plugged into that receptacle should be GFI protected. In addition, while the receptacle inside the garage is not considered one of the required counter top receptacles, it can be included on one of the GFI protected circuits that supply the counter top.

From the standpoint of efficiency and trying to make money doing electrical work, why would you supply that receptacle with another (non-GFI) circuit when the counter top 20 amp circuit is passing right by that location ?

[ July 22, 2005, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: goldstar ]

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

agree with goldstar.
the way we enforce is as follows:

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets
(B) Small Appliances
(5) Receptacle Outlet Location Receptacle outlets shall be located above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above, the countertop. Receptacle outlets rendered not readily accessible by appliances fastened in place, appliance garages, sinks, or rangetops as covered in 210.52(C)(1), Exception, or appliances occupying dedicated space shall not be considered as these required outlets.
and
210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel
(6) Kitchens ? where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces
ie: If its an appliane garage receptacle, it still servrs the counter-top and it must be GFCI

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I also agree with goldstar. The NEC says that you can't take credit for a receptacle within an appliance garage as being one of the required countertop outlets. So you may wind up with two outlets within six inches of each other: one inside the appliance garage and one outside. But nothing prohibits putting them on the same circuit. And yes, it does have to be GFI protected.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by paul32:
Originally posted by charlie b:
But nothing prohibits putting them on the same circuit.
Unless you read the code a certain way and we start another huge thread. :)
Nah not gonna happ'n here. :D

You must'a be thinken of sum other forum.
;) :p

jimwalker

While i do think it should be gfci i can't see how we can say it serves and don't serve the counter top.Pick one.Ok go at it now :D :D :D

electricmanscott

Originally posted by physis:
It's a good thing I don't know what an appliance garage is.
Duh! It is obviously the place you bring your appliances for tuneups, oil changes and general repairs. Which of course makes you wonder what part of an appliance garage is considered a hazardous location?

[ July 23, 2005, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: electricmanscott ]

69boss302

Originally posted by physis:
It's a good thing I don't know what an appliance garage is.
I don't even have a garage for my car, why should my appliances get one?

Status
Not open for further replies.