Appliance installers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

220/221

I just had appliances delivered from Home Depot (HUGE incentives totalling about $1500).

The delivery guys (subcontracted) installed the range and dryer 4 wire pigtails. I obviously took a look at them to find they didn't use the clamp and they didn't remove the bonding jumper.

I pointed it out and he said "Que?". He has been installing for two years and no one ever mentioned this to him.

Not much point in running that 4 wire circuit huh?

To his credit he did fix them and wanted to learn what the 3 wire/4 wire thing was. I tried to splain it.

stickboy1375

220/221 said:
I just had appliances delivered from Home Depot (HUGE incentives totalling about $1500).

The delivery guys (subcontracted) installed the range and dryer 4 wire pigtails. I obviously took a look at them to find they didn't use the clamp and they didn't remove the bonding jumper.

I pointed it out and he said "Que?". He has been installing for two years and no one ever mentioned this to him.

To his credit he did fix them and wanted to learn what the 3 wire/4 wire thing was. I tried to splain it.

Yep, this is pretty common. Hey Electrical is so easy even a caveman could do it. :roll:

mdshunk

When I arrive to trim out a home, and I see the appliances already delivered and have cords on, I always check. In almost every instance, the bonding jumper has not been removed. It is only the professional appliance stores, the one's using service techs to also deliver and setup new appliances, that remove the bonding jumper. If it was delivered by Lowe's or Home Deopt, you can bet with nearly 100% surity that the jumper will still be in there. I've never seen them not use a connector, however. That Tomic connector they come with is junk, so I always use a 3/4" or 1" romex connector when I put cordsets on. I don't feel especially compelled to change the Tomic connector if it's already been put on by the delivery crew, however.

480sparky

ItsHot said:
Marc do you know how to wire a 2 pole, 4 wire cloths dryer?:D

Those are easy....

CLOTHESLINE.jpg

It's the 1-pole, 30-wire ones that are tricky....

ClothesLine.jpg

Last edited:

crossman

Recently, the State of Texas instituted an "appliance installer" license. After the grandfather period, workers will be required to pass a test to get a license for this type of work.

roger3829

220/221 said:

When we first went to the four wire receptacles, I got called back to a job because the appliance installer siad I installed the wrong receptacle.

He had no clue what I was talking about. He didn't want to change the cord because he didn't have any idea what one looked like.

Customer paid me to install the correct cord.:smile:

Jerseydaze

I don't understand why the dryers and ranges don't come with 4 wire cords installed .Why not force people to do it right when they buy new appliances

iwire

Staff member
Jerseydaze said:
I don't understand why the dryers and ranges don't come with 4 wire cords installed .Why not force people to do it right when they buy new appliances

Because many people have 3 wire existing receptacles, there is nothing unsafe about them and the NEC allows them to stay.

Jerseydaze

This is what makes me nuts why do we have to use a 4 wire if a 3 wire is safe (btw I agree that a 3 wire is safe)i just dont get it

iwire

Staff member
480sparky said:
Then why require 4-wires?

Consistency with the rest of the code. :confused:

If you go back to the ROP for that change I don't think anything was presented that showed any problem with the 3 wire cords.

Rewire

480sparky said:
Then why require 4-wires?
because they are better and safer.With a three wire system you can get undisirable voltage on the appliance frame.With a four wire system you create a low impediance path back to the source to open the breaker and clear the fault.

480sparky

iwire said:
Consistency with the rest of the code. :confused:

If you go back to the ROP for that change I don't think anything was presented that showed any problem with the 3 wire cords.

Unfortunately, I never kept any of my old ROPs/ROCs.:mad:

480sparky

iwire said:
I just came back from the NFPA site, the online ROPs only go back to the 2002 NEC, it was no help.

That's about the time you could order the ROP in digital form. Before that, it was paper n ink.

Status
Not open for further replies.