Appliance Tripping on GFI's

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

Is there an advantage to installing GFCI protection on the breakers instead of GFCI receptacles? I've heard of nuisance tripping of GFCI receptacles and was wondering if this also applies to breakers. For instance, I have a fridge within 6'-0" of a sink and want to avoid tripping.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There should be no difference in operation between breaker- and receptacle-type GFCIs.

What matters is the distance between the sink and receptacle, not the sink and appliance.

Although, it would seem the distance between the sink and appliance makes more sense.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As Larry says there should be no operational difference.
A couple of things to keep in mind might be the GFCI device has to be readily accessible and, when it comes to refrigerators, many inspectors do not require GFCI on receptacles rendered inaccessible from the countertop by the refrigerator. In some cases I have seen simplex receptacles on refrigerators to address the countertop use,

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
You also don't want a receptacle-type GFCI buried where it is hard to reset - like behind the fridge :)

cppoly

Thanks.

For a receptacle that's inaccessible but still requires GFCI protection, are you saying because it's inaccessible it does not require the GFCI protection because GFCI protection is required to be readily accessible? I would think that then that requires the protection to be on the breaker then?

kwired

Electron manager
In theory there shouldn't be any difference.

But not all device are the same and some may have certain interference quirks that they respond to differently than others may resulting in "nuisance tripping" more so than actual response to ground faults tripping.

One thing to consider with any device is length or conditions associated with protected conductors. Long runs will have more capacitive leakage and if it is enough to reach the 4-6 mA trip level of the device that can be a problem, though not too likely to be too long of a run to be a problem on most average homes.

With AFCI and GFCI being required in some places anymore, is also common to just use a dual function AFCI/GFCI breaker, as it usually will cost less than AFCI breaker plus a GFCI receptacle together.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks.

For a receptacle that's inaccessible but still requires GFCI protection, are you saying because it's inaccessible it does not require the GFCI protection because GFCI protection is required to be readily accessible? I would think that then that requires the protection to be on the breaker then?
No, I'm saying that if something needs GFCI and it isn't easily accessible, go with a GFCI circuit breaker.

For me, I really hate overloaded receptacle GFCI circuits. One house I lived in had a receptacle GFCI outlet in the master bath that also feed some outside the house plugs. If you are going to have a receptacle GFCI, it should be local to the area and accessible and plainly visible.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I personally do not like having a refrigerator on a GFCI, and I also feel that a receptacle behind a refrigerator should be exempt from the general requirements.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One house I lived in had a receptacle GFCI outlet in the master bath that also feed some outside the house plugs.
Back when GFCIs first came out, it was common to put the few then-required outlets on one to lower costs.

As with most rules, the requirements evolve as experience exposes weaknesses in previous installations.

We didn't always have traffic lights, either.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Having wired one commercial kitchen after the next of late, my 'callbacks' are all about appliances that can't tolerate gfci's.

That some manufacturers expressly forbid their appliances to exist on them , while the nec mandates they do places an EC in a bad position.:mad: ~RJ~

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Having wired one commercial kitchen after the next of late, my 'callbacks' are all about appliances that can't tolerate gfci's.

That some manufacturers expressly forbid their appliances to exist on them , while the nec mandates they do places an EC in a bad position.:mad: ~RJ~
Amen! It eventually forced used-appliance sellers to service their equipment better.

Status
Not open for further replies.