Appliances going bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jes25

I have a customer that has complained of appliances in her kitchen going bad. Micro twice, range and D/W all within a couple months. Voltage checks out normal. I suggested a surge suppressor. Barring a intermittent utility or shared neutral loss what could cause this besides surges which is why we will install a suppressor. Any suggestions in what else I should check. I say coincidence

jim k

Re: Appliances going bad.

Originally posted by jes25:
I have a customer that has complained of appliances in her kitchen going bad. Micro twice, range and D/W all within a couple months. Voltage checks out normal. I suggested a surge suppressor. Barring a intermittent utility or shared neutral loss what could cause this besides surges which is why we will install a suppressor. Any suggestions in what else I should check. I say coincidence
A buncha cheap appliances?
Ever check out the lifespan of Roper appliances? It think it's measured in months.

Other than that, I'd wonder exactly what went wrong with the appliances.

- Jim K

[ September 18, 2005, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: jim k ]

normbac

surges would effect more than kitchen the range is the key word is it just the elements and did they go all at the same time. usually it is the homeowner, they will tend to exaggerate the problem, micro replaced longer ago than thought, and purchased at a yard sale. elements in oven went over time etc.. usually if it sounds impossible it usually is, make sure you check the senility factor.

jim k

Originally posted by normbac:
surges would effect more than kitchen the range is the key word is it just the elements and did they go all at the same time.

Ah, maybe once upon a time, but not anymore. Check out some modern ranges. They're packed with fancy electronics. Though I agree that, if it were a problem with surges, they'd see in in their computers, tvs, etc. as well as the kitchen appliances.

usually it is the homeowner, they will tend to exaggerate the problem, micro replaced longer ago than thought, and purchased at a yard sale. elements in oven went over time etc.. usually if it sounds impossible it usually is, make sure you check the senility factor.
I'm with you on the senility factor.

- Jim K

davedottcom

Coincidence factor and "senility" factors! :)

I can't count how many times people have called me because "Light bulbs just keep blowing out". I get there, put in a new one and all is well.

The only thing that happened was they replaced an old burnt out bulb with a defective lt. bulb, but they think both of them have "Blown up" for the same reason..."OH My, it must have a Short in it"!!!!!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by hbiss:
I would strongly suggest a neutral problem except maybe in the case of the range.
Most modern ranges have electronics, lights, etc., that use the neutral, as do many other heavy appliances. As an example, the heating element is the only 240-volt component in a clothes dryer.

jes25

Yeah thanks guys I feel pretty much the same way. I also get the "my bulbs are blowing out", and the problem is they dont scew it in tight. :roll:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Most modern ranges have electronics, lights, etc., that use the neutral, as do many other heavy appliances.

Right and that's why I would want to know what failed in the range. It's not usual to replace an entire range, they are repairable unless really old.

I too suspect what I call a geezer factor.

-Hal

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Why are alll electrical problems called "shorts"?
It doesn't matter what goes wrong, the first thing you hear is "It must have a short in it" :confused:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by electricman2: Why are alll electrical problems called "shorts"?
They used to be called "knickerbockers." But those are no longer in style. So they shortened the name. :roll:

jes25

Customers say it has a short in it because they are clueless. Youy have to be able to interpert what they say. If its not hard enough to be an electrician now you have to be a detective. :D :roll:

charlie tuna

all of the above are guesses!!! only way to actually know what is happening is install a data logger. charge the customer to install it and a daily rate for a week and then you can "tell" the customer "if" and what kind of problem he has ----or hasn't!!!

redfish

davedottcom, I can't count how many times people have called me because "Light bulbs just keep blowing out". I get there, put in a new one and all is well.
How about those callbacks, " My T.V. isn't working today, it was fine until you installed that GFI in my bathroom yesterday." or " My dryer doesn't dry clothes as well as it did before you changed the light fixture in the garage." :roll:

cselectric

Originally posted by redfish:
davedottcom, I can't count how many times people have called me because "Light bulbs just keep blowing out". I get there, put in a new one and all is well.
How about those callbacks, " My T.V. isn't working today, it was fine until you installed that GFI in my bathroom yesterday." or " My dryer doesn't dry clothes as well as it did before you changed the light fixture in the garage." :roll:
Just tell them that some of the electricity must have leaked out of the system when you opened up a splice and that you will refill the panel with current to solve their problem.

tshea

Why are alll electrical problems called "shorts"?
It doesn't matter what goes wrong, the first thing you hear is "It must have a short in it"
No no no the customer says, "It must have a shortage in it"

"My kitchen light doesn't work any more. It must have a shortage in it."

"Yes sir. I'll be right over with a 5 gallon bucket of electrons to refill the meter. Do you have 100 Watt or 60 Watt bulbs? Never mind. I'll bring 10 gallons."

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Two atoms are out for a walk.

One says, "I lost an electron!"

Other one says, "Are you sure?"

First one says, "I'm positive!"

Status
Not open for further replies.