Application of Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adavey

I understand (I think) that capacitors are used in electrical installations to correct the PF.

Questions:
Where is this usually applied (commercial and/or industrial applications)??

What would be the effects of a low PF ?????

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Application of Capacitor

adavey said:
What would be the effects of a low PF ?????
Also lost energy (i.e., higher current and resulting I^2R losses in the cables), and a lower voltage available to the loads.

Zifkwong

Capacitors are also used for voltage support.

To limit I2R losses they should be installed as close to the load as possible.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Another thing I have wondered about capacitors. I have seen them rated in KVAR or something like that. How does this compare to farads or microfarads? :?:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
First you transform farads to ohms, then transform ohms to VARS. The impedance of a capacitor is 1 divided by (2 times PI times f times C), where "f" is the frequency and "C" is the capacitance. The related reactive power (VARS) is equal to voltage squared divided by impedance.

spsnyder

I had a professor say that the large northeastern power outage was caused in part by a lack of reactive power not real power. He said that the supply of real power was adequite but that the generators couldn't keep up with the reactive power requirements and the system collapsed as a result (cascading effect)

What does everyone think of that statement?

Thanks.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
I believe it. After all, if you have the money to buy something, but don't have the money to pay the tax, you are not going to get the item. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.