Applying for SP-LV license - Primary experience vs. Seco

Status
Not open for further replies.

brannen

I'm a data Network Engineer. I've been in IT for 10 years and would like to get out of it and have my own business designing and installing Smarthomes.

I'm applying to take the NC Low Voltage Exam - SP-LV. I have to have 3000 hours of "Primary Experience". I'm having a little difficulty translating my IT experience into Low Voltage Experience - so it would count for primary experience.

In my IT jobs (3 in the past 10 years) I've worked with Cat6, Cat5 & 5E, and Cat3 CM and MP cabling in support of voice and data networks. I've also installed OFNP fiber cabling. I've even worked with Intercom, badge reading, and nurse call systems.

2 of my jobs have been with Hospitals where they had their own Maintenance departments. Presently, there is a building services department which typcially maintains the building, although we do our own cabling.

Which of the following would be applicable for me for Primary Experience? I'm thinking #8 or #13?

Thanks

.0202EXPERIENCE(a) Primary.Primary experience shall mean working experience gained by the applicant while engaged actively and directly inthe installation ofelectrical wiring and equipment governed by the National Electrical Code or work activities directly relatedthereto.

Examples ofthe capacity in which a person may work in gaining primary experience and the percentages for creditableprimary experience are as follows:percentage

(1)journeyman electrician or electrician mechanic,both meaning the same;100

(2)electrical foreman;100

(3)electrical general foreman;100

(4)electrical superintendent;100

(5)electrical general superintendent;100

(6)estimator for licensed electrical contractor;100

(7)electrical inspector recognized as such by the State Department ofInsurance;100

(8)time spent by a professional engineer who is responsible for follow-up project supervision,beyond the point ofdelivery,in electrical engineering,design,or consulting;100

(9)full-time instructor teaching National Electrical Code and related electrical courses at a college,university,community college,technical institute,high school or vocational school;50

(10)maintenance journeyman electrician or electrician mechanic employed in a full-time electrical maintenance department;100

(11)time actually spent in electrical maintenance by a maintenance journeyman electrician or electrician mechanic regularly employed in other than a full-time electrical maintenance department;100

(12)military person holding an electrician rating or rank ofat least E-4 who is engaged in land based electrical installations similar or equivalent to work performed by an electrical contractor;100

(13)time actually spent in part-time or incidental work in any primary experience category.100

fyretek

Re: Applying for SP-LV license - Primary experience vs. Seco

Looks like you are applying for an electrical contractors license, here in Cal we have a C10 electrical and a C7 low-voltage. in the C7 classification nurse call security data and voice would be under this one, are you sure you are applyhe right one in NC? if it is then yeah #8 would be the best bet.

[ December 09, 2004, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: fyretek ]

Status
Not open for further replies.