Apprentice Ratio

controlled

Ontario has finally updated its journeymen to apprentice ratio to 1:1.

Does anyone know if this is a job site ratio as well as company wide? Ive contacted the college of trades as well as MOL. Neither could give me a complete answer.

My main reason for asking is, on an example job, we have 2 jmen and 2 apprentices. If 1 jmen calls in sick 1 day, do I need to send 1 of the apprentices home?

Fulthrotl

~~Please excuse the mess. Sig under construction~~
Ontario has finally updated its journeymen to apprentice ratio to 1:1.

Does anyone know if this is a job site ratio as well as company wide? Ive contacted the college of trades as well as MOL. Neither could give me a complete answer.

My main reason for asking is, on an example job, we have 2 jmen and 2 apprentices. If 1 jmen calls in sick 1 day, do I need to send 1 of the apprentices home?
i've never seen a situation where that was warranted.

Coppersmith

We have a 1:5 ratio. 1:1 would be very expensive. It's not hard to keep five apprentices busy. They get plenty of learning opportunities.

controlled

We have a 1:5 ratio. 1:1 would be very expensive. It's not hard to keep five apprentices busy. They get plenty of learning opportunities.
By 1:5 do you mean 1 jman and 5 apprentices? That would be great.
We just recently went to 1:1.
Prior, we were 1:1 for the first 4 apprentices, then you had to have more jmen than apprentices (not sure how many more were needed)

Coppersmith

By 1:5 do you mean 1 jman and 5 apprentices? That would be great.
We just recently went to 1:1.
Prior, we were 1:1 for the first 4 apprentices, then you had to have more jmen than apprentices (not sure how many more were needed)
Sounds like you're keeping the j-men fully employed :D