Apprentice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, i am a first-year apprentice in Massachusetts and have just started journeyman one course at Peterson school and was wondering what is the best way for me to learn the code book and be ready for the journeyman test in four years. Thanks in advance

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Hello, i am a first-year apprentice in Massachusetts and have just started journeyman one course at Peterson school and was wondering what is the best way for me to learn the code book and be ready for the journeyman test in four years. Thanks in advance

Take practice tests. Then take practice tests.

iwire

Staff member

Are you currently employed for a company getting your on the job training?

JohnE

Welcome Joe. I'm just a few towns away from you.

Peterson has a good reputation. Pay attention, ask questions in class, practice tests, and spend as much time here reading and researching. What type of work are you doing?

~John

69gp

not sure what union hall you would fall into but check out local 103. Try and get into their apprenticeship program. wont cost you anything and you will learn as you go along.

Aside from that depending on the size of the company and how you get along with the guys see if they can give you a couple of code questions every few days to answer. Its knowing how to use the code book that is the most important item to know.

mwm1752

Visualize the install with code -- ie; over current device is a breaker or fuse -- disconnect can be a single pole switch switch -- know definitions

GLSA

If you can afford it buy Mikes Master Library, you probably will not understand a lot at first but it will help you visualize and understand a lot of the code.

The only other advice I can give you is to go through and understand the definitions in article 100 thoroughly as well as any definitions within the articles themselves. Understanding definitions helps you navigate the code book to the correct article. For example, when I was an apprentice a JW wanted to make a splice in a panel but he didn't know if it was code compliant. So we took the code book out and went to article 408 which cover panelboards and found nothing about splices. The reason we didn't find anything is because we didn't know our definitions. The term panel is a generic industry term but in order to navigate the code book you can't be generic.

If we would have looked at the definition of panelboard in article 100 we would have discovered what a panelboard is and with this information, we would have gone to article 312 to find our answer.

hbeery10

If you can afford it buy Mikes Master Library, you probably will not understand a lot at first but it will help you visualize and understand a lot of the code.

I'd have to second the comment on getting Mike's materials. It's not real cheap but worth every penny. I can say that from personal experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.