Approved coating for alum conduit to pass through concrete deck, subject to moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

erbsnack

Does there exist an approved coating for aluminum conduit to pass through a concrete deck, subject to moisture?
Although the code seems to allow it "in theory" [344.10 (B) (2)], I can't seem to find an approved product.
Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does there exist an approved coating for aluminum conduit to pass through a concrete deck, subject to moisture?
Although the code seems to allow it "in theory" [344.10 (B) (2)], I can't seem to find an approved product.
Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

PVC sleeve.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
PVC coated conduit, compounds, and tape wraps and shrink wrap may all be acceptable. Sounds to me like its just the AHJ's call;

Can't get the link to work: Just do a search for NEMA Bulletin UL and NEC Requirements for Corrosion Protection of Galvanized Steel Conduit and Electrical Metallic Conduit

It also talks about aluminium conduit.

The Aluminium Association also has good info. in a PDF. Search for the Aluminium Association Chapter 17 - Rigid Aluminum conduit (they actually have it misspelled as Conduct but I think you'll find it).

Allied Tube and Conduit lists bitumastic paint as a paint approved for the purpose.

Last edited:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Pipe wrap is pretty readily available. Like the others mentioned though, there are other methods. It would be worth a few minutes of your time to consult with your AHJ.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
My interpretation is that there is no actual "approved product" and whatever you decide to use must be approved by the AHJ. That's your approval.

That said, I second the PVC sleeve method, but get approval from the AHJ first.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.