Aquarium lights trip arc fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
This was beginning of thread several years ago, the surge suppressor mentioned has been discontinued, looking for filter to plug in to receptacle and aquarium leds plug in to filter
"
I've seen where a number of Forum members have suggested the use of filters to alleviate problems with AFCI breakers false tripping, but I have not seen any specific filters identified. Can anyone identify a filter or filters that are effective?"

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Nothing is designed for this and is commercially available. What has been suggested by some to try is wrapping each side of the line cord through a couple of ferrite cores. What size and from where who knows. Totally home-brew and not guaranteed to do anything.

The problem is with the AFCI. Have you tried replacing it with a newer one?

-Hal

Russs57

Occupation
Maintenance Engineer
Didn’t read old post but if ferrite worked........see if you can find one of the older Trip-Lite power strips......big white metal case about the size and weight of a brick......has a couple of standard duplex receptacles.

They had some healthy sized inductors in them.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
These AFCIs are fairly new, installed within the past year

But I suspected cheap LED aquarium lights, since window unit AC and microwave won't trip it--unless aquarium lights are on
Sounds like false direction of a series arc fault (arguably the more difficult to detect reliably). The signature may be constantly present, but cannot cause a trip until the circuit load current exceeds 7-8A.

A/C and microwave supply the required base load.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Sounds like false direction of a series arc fault (arguably the more difficult to detect reliably). The signature may be constantly present, but cannot cause a trip until the circuit load current exceeds 7-8A.

A/C and microwave supply the required base load.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
That's what I thought too

SpotA

New User
Occupation
engineer
This minor damage can be repaired. I remember a year ago my friend asked for help about the same problem in social networks and received a lot of necessary recommendations. One of them he used and it turned out to be really useful. So good luck with this!

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
This minor damage can be repaired. I remember a year ago my friend asked for help about the same problem in social networks and received a lot of necessary recommendations. One of them he used and it turned out to be really useful. So good luck with this!
I don't think I have any social networks, can you be more specific?

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Almost two years old...
Time goes by quickly when we only visit daughter in Boston a few times a year! So still not fixed. But going end of this month, and I thought there might be fresh ideas.

The AFCI breakers are obviously not as new as they were when I started this thread so I might try changing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.