Arc Fault breakers for dispensers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlittle

Does anyone know if an arc fault breaker would meet the requirements of 514.11(C)? Or if an arc fault breaker could even be used at all in this case? Typically when we install the fuel panels, the branch circuit breaker for the fuel dispensers (most people call them pumps) is a single pole neutral breaker that takes up 2 spaces in the panel. On a new install, this is the way it should be, but on retrofits or service, sometimes a single space breaker would be handy. I would appreciate any input on this!

wlittle

So when an arc fault breaker is off, the neutral is still connected through the breaker to the neutral bar? I thought it was also disconnected when the circuit trips or is off

wlittle

a device that looks like a 2 pole breaker with a curly white tail, like a GFCI or AFCI breaker - and is designed so that only one pole is connected to the line and the other is the neutral through the curly tail. when disconnected or tripped, both hot and neutral are disconnected simultaneously

iwire

Staff member
So when an arc fault breaker is off, the neutral is still connected through the breaker to the neutral bar? I thought it was also disconnected when the circuit trips or is off

Yes it is still connected, the neutral runs through the AFCI for sensing not for switching.

wlittle

well, that answers that! I searched all over for the internal wiring diagram for an AFCI, but didn't find it. Since the neutral is connected through the breaker only for sensing faults, it certainly wouldn't meet.

thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.