arc fault breakers vs. GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

iaov

arc fault vs gfic

arc fault vs gfic

Ground fault circuit interupters measure the current traveling through the ungrounded conductor and the grounded (neutral) conductor and if that current is not within 4-6 ma of being the same it trips. Arc fault interuptors alledgedly are able to recognize the charicteristics of current caused by an arcing condition and open the circuit when this happens. I know a lot of this forums members remain skepticle about wether these circuits actualy do anything except make money for the manufacturer. I have never seen a good explanation of the magic in these devices and so remain skepticle myself.

bphgravity

Compare the definitions in Article 100 for GFCI and that in Section 210.12 for AFCI.

I would also consider getting a copy of the book, "Overcurrents and Undercurrents - All about GFCIs, AFCIs, and Similar Devices." By, Earl W. Roberts.

macmikeman

ben pugh said:
Can anyone break down the difference between arc fault and GFCI?

I can. Currently I can buy a gfi in a receptacle device for about $10-$12 bucks, use it to feed other devices in a circuit that require gfi protection and pass electrical inspection. At this present time, afci's where required, are required to protect the whole branch circuit from arking faults and so therefore they only come in breakers at a cost of around $40 bucks. The difference is about $30 dollars retail. Many electrical related individuals are of the opinion that both devices are dependant on the gfi portion of the circuit to do ALL the protecting, and that the afci portion of the circuit, if it even works, never gets the chance to.

Status
Not open for further replies.