ARC Fault wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

eljefetaco

I have been out of the residential area for a while. The AHJ is telling me I need to use AF and TR for a remodel I am doing. I don't want to fight him. I ran 12/3 and 14.3 home runs to give my customer extra circuits at no cost to them. Can I use a 2 pole arc fault to properly protect the circuits. I know you cannot with GFCI because of neutral. Any input.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Unless this somehow falls under the rehab code the inspector is correct. Do they make a 2 pole AFCI breaker yet?

eljefetaco

So the times of running a three wire HR are over? Have yet to use AF devices or breakers. I assume they work similiar to GFCI where neutral cannot be shared from panel.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So the times of running a three wire HR are over? Have yet to use AF devices or breakers. I assume they work similiar to GFCI where neutral cannot be shared from panel.

Yes they're connected like GFCI breakers so a 2 pole AFCI breaker would work like a 2P GFCI breaker on a MWBC. I have used SP AFCI breakers.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
So the times of running a three wire HR are over? Have yet to use AF devices or breakers. I assume they work similar to GFCI where neutral cannot be shared from panel.

Yes they're connected like GFCI breakers so a 2 pole AFCI breaker would work like a 2P GFCI breaker on a MWBC. I have used SP AFCI breakers.
There is one notable exception.

If you can use General Electric's Arc Fault, the newest combination type AFCI that is marked MOD3 is a "next generation" development that does not have the GFCI-like component. The installation instructions show using two single pole AFCIs on a multiwire branch circuit and only connecting the MWBC neutral to one on the AFCIs. The other AFCI gets no load side neutral connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.