arc faults for panel change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperTone

had an inspector tell me today that he wants arc fault breakers installed where required if we change out the main panel in a residential house. we are doing no other work in the house. old FPE panel coming out.

210.12 doesn't say anything about if you change the panel or breaker you must install arc fault breakers - it only addresses changing or extending the existing branch circuit.

Anyone else have a different opinion?

JWCELECTRIC

had an inspector tell me today that he wants arc fault breakers installed where required if we change out the main panel in a residential house. we are doing no other work in the house. old FPE panel coming out.

210.12 doesn't say anything about if you change the panel or breaker you must install arc fault breakers - it only addresses changing or extending the existing branch circuit.

What Town?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's the NEC not the TEC. N is for "National" Electrical Code not "Town" Electrical Code. Unless there is a specific city code requirement that amends or exceeds an NEC requirement (like in Chicago or NYC) I don't see how an inspector can compel you to replace regular breakers with arc faults. You're also going to run into a problem with MWBC's.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

What he wants is not enforcable.

I don't think 210.12 is the applicable code. It defines what you have to do when you initially build the thing, or do extensive rebuilding. This is more along the lines of a repair.

Would replacing a single CB on a circuit that would now have to be AFCI require the installation of an AFCI? How is replacing the whole panel markedly different?

Are the bathroom circuits on GFCIs? If not, is he making you install GFCI breakers on those circuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.