Arc Faults

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyrman

I work out side of Houston Texas in a outlying county. I always adhere to NEC codes. I believe it is the only way to install any type of electrical work. However, I really do not like to use Arc Fault breakers because they seem to be such a burden of tripping. What are the current have to's about arc fault installations? If they have to be installed in a current setting can they be without any wiring changes?

bphgravity

Re: Arc Faults

Everyone has strong feelings about arc-fault breakers, but the code is code. Unless your state or local building department has amendments not requiring AFCI's, you really have no choice.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

However, I really do not like to use Arc Fault breakers because they seem to be such a burden of tripping.
Being honest, are you noticing them tripping for legitimate reasons, or have they been tripping without cause?

Most of the time, I've found it to be my mistakes they're catching. On occasion, we get a warranty call and find a surge strip causing problems (which is a serious deficiency of the AFCI IMO).

fyrman

I am very new to using arc fault systems. So I dont really know. I understand it, but I was wondering can you install them in a older home with the current wiring that the home has? I ask for help and appreciate what help I do get. I was a little suprised to see some silly ridicule that someone posted. If I can help someone I will with out making fun of them. But that is the way I am. I am a Man, not a man.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

Here is a link to the Mike Holt websites information on AFCI's
http://www.mikeholt.com/newslettersArchive.php?list=AFCI-HTML&back=articlecategories.php

They will work fine in an older home, however an AFCI will trip on a neutral to ground connection, same as a GFCI. There was a lot of problems with GFCI's when they were first installed as there were miswiring, the most common cause of an AFCI trip is a neutral to ground trip

fyrman

I want to thank you for the reply on arc fault breakers. I really appreciate a honest awnser without sarcasism. That is what the brotherhood of electricians is about, one helping another. Again, Thank you!

fyrman

Thanks George! It wasn't taken from you. I appreciate your input. I will take your advice though. Have a great day.

wyatt

Tom to add to your comment, and I can only say for CH breakers it needs a load on the circuit to trip. I have found that you power up the house and cut on the light and the AF breaker trips. first thought is a short in the switch leg. but not all ways the case. I have not tested the min load to trip but a plug in tester is not enough.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

Yes that is correct there must be load. Years ago I called the 800 phone number on the instructions (when AFCI's first came out) I spoke with a CH engineer and he said to test with a 100 watt lamp load.
I didn't understand why.
Now I do. The AFCI has the same grounded neutral protection that a GFCI offers, but its a 50 mA trip.
Without a load it won't trip if its miswired

bcfoster

I never was a big fan of CH untill Square D went to that blasted "eway" thing. Ch has outstanding service and always find the answer to any question I have.

As for arc-fault issues. I have had a few when they first came out, but after learning the common causes of a "blooper" the only issue I have had since has been a customer who was using an APC ups at his home and the AF kept tripping. A quick switch to an isolated ground fixed that issue and kept it with in code for the city.

[ February 28, 2006, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: bcfoster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.