arc flash help

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckman

If a panel rated at 200 amps 480/277 or 200 amp 230 v has to have the cover removed for service would we need ppe that consist of more than safety glasses and gloves? The only program we have is safety glasses and boots and gloves.

zog

If a panel rated at 200 amps 480/277 or 200 amp 230 v has to have the cover removed for service would we need ppe that consist of more than safety glasses and gloves? The only program we have is safety glasses and boots and gloves.

None of the info you posted allows anyone to answer your question. The Ei and PPE required for arc flash protection are dependant on the available fault current and clearing time of the protective device.

Now a "qualified" person per the 70E needs to be able to properly select the PPE necessary and if you are not qualified, you cant do the work, so the answer to your question is no PPE necessary because you cant do the work.

You also need to justify any work outside testing and T/S, so what are you wanting to do?

Have you read the FAQ's in this section yet? That may help you a little.

puckman

I was trying to get some general info to bring to my boss to show that the work we are doing needs to be done in a safer way. Every day we are ask to do work where panel covers are removed and work is done , troubleshooting or installing conduits inside energisd panels or an mcc. The company thinks they are working in a safe manner by telling you to have your ppe on [ gloves , hard hat ,safety glasses]. I believe there should be more protection for the worker. I though with working on 480v and a minuim of 200a panel would be a start to say 'yes you need more ppe'. Thank you for your respones.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... I though with working on 480v and a minuim of 200a panel would be a start to say 'yes you need more ppe'. Thank you for your respones.
Yes, you do need more PPE, but as Scott said, there is not enough information to tell what PPE is required. Also as far as installing raceways into energized equipment, it is a very rare case when are even permitted to do that type of work, no matter what PPE you are using.

puckman

so working in a panel that is energized is agaisnt nfpa and or osha rules or it is a recommendation not to work with energized equipment. Is there anything diffinete about working energized.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
so working in a panel that is energized is agaisnt nfpa and or osha rules or it is a recommendation not to work with energized equipment. Is there anything diffinete about working energized.
OSHA says you can't do it, except for troubleshooting and the very rare case where shutting the power off is more dangerous that working on it while energized.
1910.333(a)(1)"De-energized parts." Live parts to which an employee may be exposed shall be de-energized before the employee works on or near them, unless the employer can demonstrate that de-energizing introduces additional or increased hazards or is infeasible due to equipment design or operational limitations. Live parts that operate at less than 50 volts to ground need not be de-energized if there will be no increased exposure to electrical burns or to explosion due to electric arcs.

jcole

puckman

Are you supplied with uniforms that are flame retardant? I am not real familiar with 70E but I am sure this is a requirement for the work you are describing.

Do you work in the same facility everyday? We just had our arch flash study done and I am being told that when all is said and done each panel, switchgear, loadcenter, etc. will have a tag that will tell you what type of ppe you need. But as of right now we are still required to have FR clothing, gloves and face shield (company rules) when we are working on something above 150 volts.

zog

we don't have any fr uniforms of any kind . but i am going to look for a supplier for ppe. thanks for the replys

Wait a minute. You need a few things first. You need to become a qualified person per the NFPA 70E through the proper training that you obviously do not have (You too Jcole). Then you need to have justification to do what ever energized work your company is making you do, PPE dosent make everthing OK, there are very few types of energized work that is allowed.

Please read these to get you started, then come back with any questions you may have. http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=99114

When you get to the point of orderng PPE you need to make some smart decisions but there are many things that need to happen here first. I get the impression that you are working for an employer that is very unsafe and unaware of OSHA laws. I am not trying to be a __ck here but rather trying to help you.

Karl H

I am not trying to be a __ck here but rather trying to help you.

This is a statement I make daily, with regards to opening panels
and landing breakers. It's funny that I've been in the trade for
25 years and I'm the un-educated one. Your life can end in a fraction
of a sceond landing a 10.00 dollar breaker in a energized panel.
You have to ask yourself,are you willing to risk your life and the future
of your family for a small hourly wage?

eric7379

In the company that I work for, we are required to wear flame retardant uniforms at all times and to don full PPE (ours consists of hard hat, full face shield with the flame retardant drape that covers the exposed area between the chest and face shield, gloves and leather protectors) anytime that we work in a panel above 50 volts. That pretty much covers all electrical panels in our plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.