arc flash ppe

Status
Not open for further replies.

jes25

Where can I find the standards relating to the required arc flash PPE? I need a crash course (or at least a starting point) about the when and where and what level PPE to use. I work for a small company and I feel I can not rely on our practically non-existent safety program.

Thanks

zog

Where can I find the standards relating to the required arc flash PPE? I need a crash course (or at least a starting point) about the when and where and what level PPE to use. I work for a small company and I feel I can not rely on our practically non-existent safety program.

Thanks

NFPA 70E. But your company is required to have a written safety plan that meets the OSHA requirements, not having one is a fineable offense all by itself.

Chev

Master Electrician @ Retired
Occupation
Retired Master Electrician, Formerly at Twin Lakes Electric and GMC
You can also go online and get OSHA Requirements, Title 29: Labor
PART 1910-OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH STANDARDS
Subpart 1 Personal Protective Equipment

Go to: http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/29cfr1910_03.html

And you will see: 2003 CFR Title 29, Volume 5. Look for 1910.132 - General requirements. These are pdf files and you will be able to browse and select which you will print! The 2003 is the "latest" available online.

Last edited:
Arc Flash PPE

Arc Flash PPE

OSHA doesn't give you much help on arc flash PPE. They require hazard assessment and protection but the guides LIST arc flash as a hazard you must protect against.

Zog's suggestion of NFPA 70E is the most helpful. There are some classes on the subject online and lots of live ones around the country.

Best advice is use a 8 cal/cm2 uniform for basic work. Use rubber insulating gloves black in color (best for arc flash) and leather protectors. Use a >8 cal faceshield on a dielectric hard hat. When doing higher risk/hazard jobs don a 40 cal or greater flash suit. These practices are good habits.

Here is an article on 7 Electrical Safety Habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.