ARC FLASH Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jryan

Well I will have to do an evaluation of our facility for arc flash requirements and adjust to meet the new requirements. At present, my understanding is that CalOSHA is "behind" the NEC-02 in this regard in that it addresses the 99 NEC.

Question is, does anyone know what the "new" additions will be for the NEC-05 code? I have just ordered the NFPA 70E and will start there, but I do not want to do things to fit the NEC-02 requirements when we are just a few short months from the NEC-2005.

Any feedback here would be much appreciated.

ron

Re: ARC FLASH Protection

You will find the requirements for compliance in the OSHA regulations
(OSHA Standards - 29 CFR
Part Number: 1910
? Part Title: Occupational Safety and Health Standards
? Subpart: I
? Subpart Title: Personal Protective Equipment
? Standard Number: 1910.132
? Title: General requirements.)
and NFPA 70E Article 130 for calculations and signage.

The NFPA 70 (National Electric Code) only requires field marking of danger and doesn't require a calculation.

You will find the method to perform the calculation in IEEE Standard 1584-2002 Guide for Performing Arc Flash Hazard Calculations.

jryan

Thanks for the reply!

How can I get a copy of the

IEEE Standard 1584-2002 Guide for Performing Arc Flash Hazard Calculations.

Is there a place online that I can download this? I am not a IEEE member. If not what would the cost be? Isn't the calculation based on KVA size of the substation and available fault current? Is there a quick calculation for this? I am new to this process so I will be reading a bunch in the next few weeks I believe........ :eek:

jryan

2002/ PDF
List Price: $595.00

1584-2002 IEEE Guide for Arc Flash Hazard Calculations 2002

This guide provides techniques for designers and facility operators to apply in determining the arc flash hazard distance and the incident energy to which employees could be exposed during their work on or near electrical equipment.

There is no way that that will be purchased. I do not own the company. I will have to find a cheaper method of doing the calcs. Dang why so much $$$. Heck I got a hardcopy NFPA-70E for $35.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I thought the 05 NEC will require marking the incident energy in calories.
Also on the mike holt web site under arc flash, there are some links to free software for calculation arc flash.
The new version of 70E is reorganized and easier to use. OSHA essentially recognizes 70E as the electrical safety standard.

jryan

NFPA 70E

OK it seems that a hard copy will not be availiable till end of August so I ordered the PDF. Well you have to have a registered version of ADOBE reader 6.0 to open the file, but be careful, my purchasing agent opened it with a full version of ADOBE Acrobat and her computer was the only one that could open it. I have downloaded another copy to my PC and registered my reader and now I can open it also.

$34.95 for 139 pages, it is a shame that IEEE isnt that reasonable.........

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I have had a hard copy of NFPA 70E-2004, I got it three months ago, perhaps its out of print, I'm sure it was a big seller. Try Building Tech Bookstore at 1-800-ask-book they may have a copy.

jryan

Well I too now have a hard copy via my HP laserjet :)

Kind of nice to have teh PDF also...

Status
Not open for further replies.