Arc Flash Training: Train the Trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all

I have been tasked with finding some training to be trained in giving Arc Flash training. I have been looking all around the web and can not decide on which one I should go too. There seems to be a lot of places giving this type of training. I have 12 electricians and 12 HVAC techs that I over see the safety for. None of them have been trained in arc flash. So is it more cost effective to get training for all the guys in a class or would it be better to get trained myself and give the training as people come on board? Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Let someone train them

Let someone train them

If I was you I would send them all to the class. That way you are not liable if anything goes wrong. Also if something changes and you as the trainer did not know this you would not be teaching it as it is now.

zog

If I was you I would send them all to the class. That way you are not liable if anything goes wrong. Also if something changes and you as the trainer did not know this you would not be teaching it as it is now.

Agree 100%, I did arc flash training for 10 years and it evolves so fast and there are so many details to understand that it is hard to take a class then give it yourself. But, if you decide to go that route, I highly recommend this class
http://e-hazard.com/arc-flash-training/train-the-trainer.php

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
I would send them to a class. Admittedly I am biased as that is a service that my company offers as we specialize in electrical safety/training. It would probably be more cost effective to train everyone in an initial 8 hr class and then a 4 hr refresher every 3 years. If you are interested, PM me and we can discuss a proposal.

wireman

Inactive, Email Never Verified
It may be more cost-effective to have the trainer come to your office. That way you are not paying travel costs for everybody.
Also, I'm not sure if just because you took the class that would make you qualified to teach it. You may want to check into that part a little more.

Njlineman

Do you provide your electricians and HVAC techs with FR clothing? Our company now requires 40cal suits while working in certain kva enclosures. I work overhead and although a 13kv arc flash is nasty its open air and literally blasts in all directions for a brief moment. Electricians however are almost always working on enclosures where the blast has one place to go.... in their face.

So I will continue on this thread along the arc flash cause I'm on. I have a new question in lite of some information I have received. Does Washington State require a arc flash study to be done by a engineer? I know there are a few moderators that are here in Washington and I hope they may have the answer to the question. WBDVT has helped me with a few avenues to go done and I got new information. LikeIEEE has published IEEE 1584.1 IEEE Guide for theSpecification of Scope and Deliverable Requirements for an Arc-Flash HazardCalculation Study in Accordance with IEEE Std 1584™
Section 3.4 of this standard contains the following language:

The arc-flash study should be performed by, orunder the direction of, a qualified person with the necessary
knowledge about power system analysis andarc-flash hazard analysis or experience in performing power
system analysis and arc-flash hazard analysis.It is recommended that engineers who are new to performing
the studies obtain peer or third party reviewsfrom a more experienced engineer in this specific subject.
NOTE—Engineering licensing requirements ofindividual jurisdictions (states and/or provinces/nationalities) may
requirethe analysis to be performed by, or under the direction of, a registeredprofessional engineer.

Does this apply to Washington State? If anybody knows or has an ideas who I could contact to get a better understanding please pass it on.
thanks

ron

The arc-flash study should be performed by, or under the direction of, a qualified person with the necessary
knowledge about power system analysis and arc-flash hazard analysis or experience in performing power
system analysis and arc-flash hazard analysis.It is recommended that engineers who are new to performing
the studies obtain peer or third party reviews from a more experienced engineer in this specific subject.
NOTE—Engineering licensing requirements of individual jurisdictions (states and/or provinces/nationalities) may
require the analysis to be performed by, or under the direction of, a registered professional engineer.
The IEEE 1584 is a guide, not a code. Some would say it is nationally accepted as a standard in NFPA 70E and indirectly by OSHA, but whether performing the task it is considered Engineering is the question. Washington State says that if it is engineering, then you must be registered as such.

General provisions.

In order to safeguard life, health, and property, and to promote the public welfare, any person in either public or private capacity practicing or offering to practice engineering or land surveying, shall hereafter be required to submit evidence that he or she is qualified so to practice and shall be registered as hereinafter provided; and it shall be unlawful for any person to practice or to offer to practice in this state, engineering or land surveying, as defined in the provisions of this chapter, or to use in connection with his or her name or otherwise assume, use, or advertise any title or description tending to convey the impression that he or she is a professional engineer or a land surveyor, unless such a person has been duly registered under the provisions of this chapter.

The language on the Wash state website seems to be specific.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=18.43&full=true

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
CESCP

CESCP

If you're passionate about electrical safety and are making a career out of it, become an NFPA-certified Electrical Safety Compliance Professional. That would give you a path towards proficiency in the subject, and once you become certified you'll feel qualified to develop and deliver 70E training.
I've followed that path, and found out that delivering 70E training is the most gratifying work that I do because it could actually save someone's life.
Good luck!
John F. Mayan, PE, CESCP

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Teaching method

Teaching method

Does the training for electricians and HVAC techs and mechanics have to be classroom taught or is it allowed to be provided online, pre-recorded, other?

Status
Not open for further replies.