Arc Flash Warning Labels

Status
Not open for further replies.

bozosboss

Who is responsible for evaluating and adding an Arc Flash warning label to panelboards. I went to a 1 hour seminar the other day and am more confused on the subject than before. What was presented in the seminar seemed to imply the engineering consultant or installer for the new panelboard is required to have the warning label installed and not the manufacturer of the panel. Also it was suggested to purchase a copy of IEEE Standard 1584 for arc flash calculations. That standard costs close to $600.00! Any suggestions where to go to get an understanding of the calculations required?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Arc Flash Warning Labels

The NEC does not require any arc flash calculations. 110.16 just requires a generic arc flash warning label. The selection of the correct PPE to work on or near energized equipment will require the calculations.
Don

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

The label is to be field installed per 110.16, it could be the installer or end user. Arc flash labels are available for about $1.50 from T&B or Brady. If you look at the Mike Holt web site you will find a lot more information on Arc Flash and I have seen some free software.

cpal

incident of energy due to arc flash is available in NFPA 70E 2004. It is essentially the performance standard used by OSHA for citing violations. There are several methods of calculation one within section 130 and the other in annex D. As was mentioned the installer is responsible for the application of the warning labels 110.16.

Sorry I had to take a call!

The proposal through the 1999 cycle wanted the manufactures to apply the warning labels I think the limit was at 50kA available.

The manufactures resisted this requirement stating that once the equipment left there custody they lost control of the conditions of installation.

The trade off has evolved into the language existing in the 05 NEC.

Every year approximately 8000 electricians are injured on the job.
around 2000 are shock or electrocution with about 400+ deaths. Many of the deaths result from burns from arc flash and ensuing infection, etc.

NFPA 70E IMO will become critical to future generations of electricians and needs to be a part of every lesson plan, safety meeting and everyone's work habits.

[ January 28, 2005, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: cpal ]

tom baker

Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

IMO there are two standards that should be included with the NEC:
1. NFPA 70E
2. UL White Book.

I tell my students the 2002 NEC took a right turn, and there are many new safety requirements:
Arc Flash labels
Panic hardware on electrical rooms
Qualified person

Its the beginning of a new era.

pierre

"Its the beginning of a new era"
From Tom Baker

I absolutely believe we are in for some extensive changes in the next few code cycles. It will be interesting to see how they will be dealt with.
Example: Arc Fault Circuit Breakers :)

Pierre

charlie

Tom and Charlie, I can't agree with you. The UL Whit Book is very important and I tell people that it is the "rest of your Code book". However, the Code doesn't need to be increased in size by that much. If there is a particular part that you want placed into the Code book, make a proposal (that is how 240.85 came into being).

NFPA 70E has nothing to do with building construction but with employee safety during building maintenance.

Sorry but they are, and should continue to be, separate documents. I do believe that everyone should have and use these documents though. :D

cpal

Charlie
I agree with you also. I was stating that NFPA70E is important to work habits not installation standards (NEC)so to say.

NFPA 70E IMO will become critical to future generations of electricians and needs to be a part of every lesson plan, safety meeting and everyone's work habits.
I still stand by the original statement.

Charlie

tom baker

Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

Yes Pierre you are correct. 70E and the UL white book are two that are needed along with the NEC. The NEC is big enough already.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

In My Opinion

Roger

benmcclung

I am glad to see so many people interested in making workplace safer from Arc Flash Hazards.

The most effective way of calculating the arc flash (incident energy) is using IEEE-1584. It is incorporated into the commercial electrical software packages.

allenwayne

Ok how about that label on a meter that says do not paint and we get tagged for it being painted
:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.