Arc Flash while racking breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
pretty nasty. What do you think happend. That guy was aggresively wrenching on something.

zog

I am working on getting details, that was a pretty common flash for 480V switchgear based on the testing I have witnessed. I appears he was racking in or out a 480V circuit breaker (ABB K-Line or GE AKR from the looks of the hole in the door).

It looks to me like he was having some sort of problem with the racking mech, going in and out and then tried to force it in. Either there was something wrong with the racking mech (I doubt) or he didnt know how to do it right and was missing an interlock in the cell (Likely).

peter d

It certainly gives you an appreciation for the fault current that is available on a large service. If that video doesn't wake you up to the danger of working live, then nothing will.

quogueelectric

zog said:
I am working on getting details, that was a pretty common flash for 480V switchgear based on the testing I have witnessed. I appears he was racking in or out a 480V circuit breaker (ABB K-Line or GE AKR from the looks of the hole in the door).

It looks to me like he was having some sort of problem with the racking mech, going in and out and then tried to force it in. Either there was something wrong with the racking mech (I doubt) or he didnt know how to do it right and was missing an interlock in the cell (Likely).
It looked like 5kv gear to me looked identical to gear at pseg in Bridgeport. May have had some sort of faceshield on looked like fr shirt but I doubt he survived. No emergency lighting no flashlights gear rooms like this are usually up and down catwalks. He was racking clockwise then counter clockwise then clockwise again. Pretty bad fault.

Mr.Sparkle

That is a very sobering video. Although I cant say I have any experiences with that kind of work at all. Mostly resi and light commercial for me. Scary.

Kerf

THIS is why an Arc Flash Analysis and a short circuit/coordination study are so important to the safety of our electricians. Note that the lights go out...blew a breaker probably, but the arc still continues (and grows actually). This could be a result of a coordination problem or the effects of AC motors feeding the arc from the load side of the breaker.
If an AFA and SS/C study had been completed before this incident, it may have been apparent that the potential energy release at this point in the event of a fault/short circuit would be well above the 40 cal/cm2 protection that an arc flash suit could provide "some" protection from. The equipment would most likely have been labeled as "Extreme Danger - Energized Work Prohibited".
Sure the cost to the company for the analysis may be significant...but nothing like the price paid by this electrician (and his family).
Be Safe! Don't work hot!

sparks0304

sorry to say i dont think he lived, nfpa 70-e 130-1 thru 130-7 will let you know what kind of arc flash protection that is need to work on different jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.