Arc n Spark

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I replaced a GFCI device for a residential washer yesterday that I installed about 15 years ago. + -. It had been tripping on occasion recently and is the only item on that circuit. Washer was energized but not operating when I unplugged it. One heck of a good A&S when I plugged it back in.

Capacitor charge up for newer machines? I would think they would hold charge for longer than the 10 minutes it took.

gar

Occupation
EE
230505-1204 EDT

Many devices have a capacitor that is large fed from a diode from the input source with little series impedance.

These loads, if the power switch is closed when plugged in will draw a very large peak inrush current with an arc at the plug. If there is an input switch in the off state when plugged in, then you won't see a current spike when plugged in. Rather that peak current will occur when the switch is closed, and the arc will occur in the switch.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My DeWalt 20v charger and some of my car battery chargers spark, too. I've gotten into the habit of inserting plugs quickly.

MD Automation

Occupation
Engineer
I have noticed this happening on almost all my laptop chargers for years now.

My solution to it is this... I take the plug in one hand and with the other hand I feel the area near the receptacle to sense the zero crossing of the Main's sine wave. Then I count to 3. Then I quickly insert the plug w/ my eyes closed.

Have not seen an arc yet with this approach.

Thinking more about it, it may have more to do with that last part about my eyes than my mad skills at detecting zero crossings.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I have noticed this happening on almost all my laptop chargers for years now.

My solution to it is this... I take the plug in one hand and with the other hand I feel the area near the receptacle to sense the zero crossing of the Main's sine wave. Then I count to 3. Then I quickly insert the plug w/ my eyes closed.

Have not seen an arc yet with this approach.

Thinking more about it, it may have more to do with that last part about my eyes than my mad skills at detecting zero crossings.
Well, I must have used that same method for years because I wasn't prepared for the amount of molten metal escaping as it did. My hands shaking as they do nowadays certainly wouldn't have any thing to do with it.🤔