Arc voltage at low pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably an exotic topic, but thought maybe someone here can shed some light...

I'm looking at some equipment that may be operated at high altitude / low atmospheric pressure. I know there is no arcing a perfect vacuum, and there are tables or equations that show how arcing, voltage, pressure, etc. relate. I have not been able to find that data--anyone know where to look?

Thanks!

gar

Occupation
EE
101217-0933 EST

See "Fundamentals of Engineering Electronics", Second Edition, William G. Dow, 1952, page 519. Chapters 16 and 17 are on gas discharge.

On the Internet search for Paschen's Law .

Following is a short history on Bill Dow:
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/eecs/dow/b-day_tribute.html
Prof. Dow lived about 4 blocks from me and maybe 100 or more feet lower. Even at 100 he was still walking by my home on his long daily walks. On occasion he would ask me if I knew where so and so was working. Even at 100 his mind was very sharp.

marti smith

I hope that is you as well, gar. Your mind is a rare and treasured contribution to the industry and to this forum.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Wow what an amazing forum--smart people willing to take time to share their knowledge. Thanks for the replies and help. It was just what I needed and had been searching. Gar's reference to Paschen led me to many very good references.

Status
Not open for further replies.