Are 4 port panelboard lugs appropriate for landing 14 sets of 500MCM on 10 hole xformer stabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carsongwalker

Occupation
EE
Hi,

I'm needing to land 14 sets of 500MCM Cu (4 conductor sets) into a 3000KVA xformer. The xformer has 4x typical 10 hole stabs. Would the use of 4x 2 hole 4 conductor panel board lugs per stab (2 on each side of the 4 stabs, 8 total) be appropriate to land this many conductors? I sketched this out and it should all physically fit with no conductors being jammed against each other. Am I missing anything here besides just making sure it will fit? I am not an electrician, but am trying to pitch this to my engineer who insists we need an entire separately enclosed 5000A cable tap box.

Thanks!

Sketch of layout: Link
Lug: Link

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I'd rather have something like this if I'm the one that has to land the wires...
hdcl-500382-tc__03314.1506281314.jpg

Can you stack these?
They do make stackable lugs. I have stacked the regular ones back to back if spacing allows. So you have 10 holes, which would be 5 two hole lugs in each side? And you need 14? You could procure 4 of the stacking lugs to make it work. There are also lots of different spade connectors you could use. For example, Google "transformer spade connector".

Status
Not open for further replies.