are battery backed lights in a hospital x-ray room required if the lights are already on emergency circuit?

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello all,

If some of the lights in the x-ray room are on emergency (critical) and some others are on emergency (life safety), are batteries backup still required in that room?
As far as i know, that case is required in procedure rooms, but i'm not sure about x-ray room!!

Thank you,

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Just curious, why is there Life Safety lighting in an x-ray room?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have found that the three emergency branches are seldom understood. So, either he is understandably mistaken, or the installation is wrong. The NEC says they must be on the Critical Branch.
And that is the reason for my question

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
2 light fixtures are connected to life safety branch and 4 light fixtures are connected to the critical branch.

But i guess based on comments, in either cases - battery is not required in that type of room.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
2 light fixtures are connected to life safety branch and 4 light fixtures are connected to the critical branch.

But i guess based on comments, in either cases - battery is not required in that type of room.
Correct but the fixtures that are on the Life Safety Branch apear to be wrong.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The States usually;ly have their own criteria which exceeds NEC. Someone should check.
And if they do it would be formal and made public.
The OP should have access to the state code

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Can they all be on critical only? Or is normal power also required in the mix?
(assuming they are all on critical only)

garbo

Hello all,

If some of the lights in the x-ray room are on emergency (critical) and some others are on emergency (life safety), are batteries backup still required in that room?
As far as i know, that case is required in procedure rooms, but i'm not sure about x-ray room!!

Thank you,
I worked at a large hospital last ten years before retiring. Several times I asked chief electrician on what was supposed to be on life safety, critical etc but never told. They had dual 13,200 volt services with automatic tie breakers and 4 gen sets so they only had overpriced short life bodine ballast in the 23 OR rooms and switchgear rooms. The newest bodine ballast had a self test feature that would switch over T5 lamps to dimly lite battery back back up in the middle of an operation pissing surgeons off. I was surprised that none of the exit lights thru out the 12 story hospital did not have battery back up.I had no faith in bodine ballast. I would place date they were rep!aced and disappointing how many did not last 5 years.