Are MC cable internal wires acceptable in EMT, for a short run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brycenesbitt

I have a long run of MC cable that then needs to head outside for the last 2-3 feet to reach the main.

Is it acceptable to strip back the armor and feed the last 2-3 feet of wire and connect directly?
Or must the MC end at the junction box, and wire nut to THHN?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Unlike NM MC conductors are identified so yes, you can strip the sheathing and extend the conductors in another raceway.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the proper fitting is used than it's code compliant. The last 2-3' outside would be an issue if in a raceway.

brycenesbitt

Why not terminate the MC and EMT into an LB or a coupling?
OP here:
I meant the setup is: 40' of MC-->junction box-->EMT to outside-->LBS-->EMT-->main panel-->breaker.
The options are to junction the wire in the box, or strip the MC sheath and continue the wire unbroken to the breaker.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
For me it would depend on the length of the mc conductors outside the sheath. A foot or two would be OK, more than that I would splice in the j-box

mkgrady

I'm thinking that MC cable is not rated for wet locations. Am I wrong? If I'm correct, then why would stripped MC cable be ok in an outdoor conduit if MC can't be used outdoors?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I'm thinking that MC cable is not rated for wet locations. Am I wrong? If I'm correct, then why would stripped MC cable be ok in an outdoor conduit if MC can't be used outdoors?
Read the specs that Roger links to in the post before yours.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
To be clear, the conductors in NM cable are generally the equivalent of THHN conductors, but are not explicitly labeled as such on the conductors nor explicitly called out as such in the NM specifications from the manufacturer.

I just took a look at some MC, and the packaging said that the conductors are THHN/THWN. A _different_ open reel the conductors did not have any printing on the conductors identifying them, but a plastic tape run with the conductors was labeled THHN/THWN.

There is no problem running THWN conductors outdoors in a conduit; there might be some debate about the conductors needing to be properly labeled. IMHO a few feet of conductor past a transition where the MC cable is clearly evident would be sufficient to 'label' the conductors.

-Jon

Be careful with this. The majority of MC inners I come across are only labeled THHN, and they would NOT be acceptable in a raceway outside.

This just came up a few weeks ago, and I looked at two different brands of MC I had laying around and they both were labeled just THHN. Southwire's website said their inners are THHN/THWN, but I would want to have it in my grubby little paws and see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.