Are Outlet Boxes required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaylen

I might be blind, however unable to locate the code in 2008 that states that, and outlet box is required for Garage coach lights (it is an insurance claim and insurance is stating that they are not willing to cover the installation of outlet box because they don't feel it is a code item. They feel the siding block (open back side block) is sufficient) please direct me to info Thanks Gaylen

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Will this work?

300.15 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, or Fittings ? Where Required.
A box shall be installed at each outlet and switch point for concealed knob-and-tube wiring.
Fittings and connectors shall be used only with the specific wiring methods for which they are designed and listed.
Where the wiring method is conduit, tubing, Type AC cable, Type MC cable, Type MI cable, nonmetallic-sheathed cable, or other cables, a box or conduit body shall be installed at each conductor splice point, outlet point, switch point, junction point, termination point, or pull point, unless otherwise permitted in 300.15(A) through (M).

cadpoint

I might be blind, however unable to locate .... They feel the siding block (open back side block) is sufficient) please direct me to info Thanks Gaylen

I guess its just block!

:) (open back side block) Is that a fascia of brick or block, horizontal siding or is it under the wood under eve's of the roof line?

Just lightly tap the block and make sure its hollow. The wall might just be on the other side, ie the inside finish. Compare that depth to the depth of say the foundation if available.

Fascia has such a broad definition! I've seen the word in many other combinations like fascia brick veneer, which is as follows:

Sometimes with brick or block or even a stone face can have a cavity and a
workable gap of from one to three inches off the wall. (IE Between the walls)

gndrod

I might be blind, however unable to locate the code in 2008 that states that, and outlet box is required for Garage coach lights (it is an insurance claim and insurance is stating that they are not willing to cover the installation of outlet box because they don't feel it is a code item. They feel the siding block (open back side block) is sufficient) please direct me to info Thanks Gaylen

Take a look at [300.21] Fire or Products of Combustion. Electrical installations in hollow spaces etc....must maintain fire-resistive rating where building codes contain restrictions on membrane penetrations. See FPN suggesting UL listing of product for such a qualification. rbj

fondini

Welcome to the wonderful world of insurance work!!!!! One time after a long agrument over a job scope, I had to photocopy pages of my codebook and they still gave me a rough time!!all said and proved,they wanted me to show them what gave the ahj the power to enforce the code!! unbeleivable.:-?

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Along the same line of thinking.....what about the situation where you have a 4/0 box in the ceiling and are installing a 15" surface mount fixture. The fixture wiring is present throughout most of the 15" base and the connection is made within the 4/0 ceiling box leaving much of the fixture wire exposed between the ceiling material and the base of the fixture. I've always wondered about the legality of such an installation........

I can see this in the future:
Insurance company-
"I am sorry, we will not cover the installation of an outlet box, as the siding box is sufficient"

15 years later=
" I am sorry, we will not cover the installation, as there is no outlet box as required by code."

Last edited by a moderator:

fondini

I can see this in the future:
Insurance company-
"I am sorry, we will not cover the installation of an outlet box, as the siding box is sufficient"

15 years later=
" I am sorry, we will not cover the installation, as there is no outlet box as required by code."

lol!!That hits it on the head!!:D

Last edited by a moderator:

ahp691

Insurance companies and other cheapskates

Insurance companies and other cheapskates

I have found the best way to get my way when an insurance adjuster, landlord, homeowner or other cheapskate doesn't want to pay for a correct code compliant job is to have them put it in writing with their signature assuming responsibility if it fails an inspection or burns down.

Status
Not open for further replies.