Are some GFI breakers better then others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

I am asking because we are still having a problem with an in ground pool heater, gas heater that I posted about a few weeks ago. Heater and filter on the same 240volt 20amp line, GE breaker, filter was in last year,heater added this year. The breaker trips, (this is a new breaker), but it might run for 8 days no problem. The pool guy wants me to put a sub panel and a Sq D GFI breaker. I do recall about 10 years ago a problem with a certain hot tub brand that we had to install a subn panelm and I think they were Seimans GFI breakers. Any thing to this?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I do not see any requirement for gfci protection for a pool heater. The only reference I see is 680.22(A)(2) but that is for cord and plug less than 6' from the pool

Obviously if the equipment requires gfci per the manufacturer then so be it.

GerryB

I do not see any requirement for gfci protection for a pool heater. The only reference I see is 680.22(A)(2) but that is for cord and plug less than 6' from the pool

Obviously if the equipment requires gfci per the manufacturer then so be it.
You are right Dennis, there is no manufacturer requirement for gfci, they just usually are since they are tapped off of the filter circuit. I am probably better off running a separate circuit non gfi for the heater.

kwired

Electron manager
You said the heater was gas - maybe something in the ignitor doesn't play well with GFCI's?

Also didn't mention how long of circuit you have between the GFCI and the load. Long runs can have enough leakage through capacitance to give troubles regardless of what they supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.