Are splices required to be performed in a junction box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

larrypark45

New User
I have scoured the NEC and cannot find anything except in Temporary wiring that says splices must be performed in a junction box.

Hopefully one of you code experts can help point me to the right location in this code book to put my mind at rest - and to finish this report!!

Thanks in advance,
Larry Park

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Check here

300.15 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, or Fittings — Where Required.
A box shall be installed at each outlet and switch point for
concealed knob-and-tube wiring.
Fittings and connectors shall be used only with the specific
wiring methods for which they are designed and listed.
Where the wiring method is conduit, tubing, Type AC cable,
Type MC cable, Type MI cable, nonmetallic-sheathed cable, or
other cables, a box or conduit body shall be installed at each
conductor splice point, outlet point, switch point, junction
point, termination point, or pull point, unless otherwise
permitted in 300.15(A) through (L).

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
And don't overlook 300.16(A), and 394.56, and 396.56.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have scoured the NEC and cannot find anything except in Temporary wiring that says splices must be performed in a junction box.

Hopefully one of you code experts can help point me to the right location in this code book to put my mind at rest - and to finish this report!!

Thanks in advance,
Larry Park

Splices don't require a junction box. They generally do require some kind of enclosure though. For instance, you can make splices inside a panelboard.

JFletcher

Short answer, no. They are generally required to be enclosed though.

In addition to what has been previously mentioned, chapter 3 splices can also be made in luminaires, and I believe raceways if the LB volume is sufficient. Chapter 8 splices do not require a junction box, and splices for things that are outside the NEC, like overhead service conductors and utility work are frequently made in open-air, and furthermore are not insulated.

Underground splices for cable types like UF also do not require boxes or enclosures.

Welcome to The Forum

Eta: I would have to check with the provisions of article 590, temporary wiring, to see what exceptions are in there regarding splices. I have seen many a homemade lighting stringers on commercial job sites with open-air splices.

Last edited:

JFletcher

I've had no issues with them, used the top one mainly to add a receptacle for a TV to an existing circuit.

I've never used the saddle or tap style one.. any tips or tricks with it?

For the above poster, they are used to splice NM cable in walls without a junction box. Like any other connector, they have their uses ..

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've never used the saddle or tap style one.. any tips or tricks with it?
Only that the feed-through cable needs to be bent to match the change in level. With all of them, bending the conductors to the correct shape is a must.

super grandpa

Occupation
Electrician, Electrical Instructor
Open Splices of Class 2 Cct's

Open Splices of Class 2 Cct's

I've been splicing class 2 circuits "open slices" for 38 years. But I really don't know where it says it's okay to do this in the NEC. This has been one of the longest searches I can recall, been to 725, 300 and have found nothing that says it is permitted. I've been teaching for the past 12 years and always tell students to find it in the NEC, but I'm definitely not seeing something!! HELP

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

For temporary wiring with NM cable or cords a junction box is not required.

590.4(G) Splices. On construction sites, a box shall not be required for splices or junction connections where the circuit
conductors are multiconductor cord or cable assemblies, provided that the equipment grounding continuity is maintained with or without the box. See 110.14(B) and 400.9. A box, conduit body, or terminal fitting having a separately bushed hole for each conductor shall be used wherever a change is made to a conduit or tubing system or a metal-sheathed cable system.

Status
Not open for further replies.