Are these illegal in Illinois ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm new here

I copy and pasted it from home depot.

QO
15 amp Tandem Single Pole Circuit Breaker QO1515
Model 08277

http://imagex.homedepot.com/f/248/13340/7d/www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/355755_3.jpg

The QO1515 is a 3/4 in. style circuit breaker with QWIK-OPEN feature. The QO Tandem circuit breakers feature the VISI-TRIP indicator to easily identify a tripped circuit in the load center. Tandem circuit breakers offer two-circuit protection while only taking up one space in the load center

[ September 12, 2005, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: 90blackcrx ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Are these illegal in Illinois ?

This thread had been temporarily moved to an area accessible only to the Moderators. This action was taken because the thread looked like it might involve a DIY asking for how-to information. In an exchange of Private Messages, the Original Poster (OP) stated that he intends to hire an electrician, but needed to know if the tandem breaker was legal in Illinois.

I am returning the thread to the active area, and invite the membership to address the OP's question. It might be a simple question of fact as to whether a tandem breaker is, or is not legal, in the State of Illinois. I recognize, however, that there are other questions to be addressed. Examples are the brand and model of panel, the limitations of the UL listing, and the total number of overcurrent devices installed in the panel.

Any comments along the lines of "Please ask the electrician that you hire about . . . " would be in order. However, no "how-to" information should be provided.

I offer an apology to the OP for any inconvenience that this delay may have caused.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

According to the Square D Digest. The QO1515 is a replacement breaker and is "For use only as a replacement in Old Style Non-CTL QO Load Centers".

Since at least the 70's, the correct tandem breaker for QO loadcenters is the QOT series. So your question should be about the acceptance of the QOT1515 instead.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Illinois does not have a statewide electrical code. Each locality does their own thing. The more urban areas tend to have more restrictive codes.

The answer is probably going to be that assuming you meet the code requirements and manufacturer's instructions are followed, you could install this breaker.

Generally speaking, there are some restrictions on how many overcurrent protection devices can be put in a panel. One of these units would count as two. If your plan is to replace an existing CB with one of these to get an extra circuit, and you are already at the limit, you would be in violation of the electrical code.

Best advice is to get an actual electrician involved. there may be other issues that are not obvious. and in some areas, it is very difficult for homeowners to get permits to do electrical work.

Status
Not open for further replies.