Are these style switches still NEC compliant?

rotmgbetter

Occupation
Researcher
I found the following Bolted Pressure Contact Switch and I was wondering if they are complaint with NEC and specifically 230.95.

https://boltswitch.com/outline.html O-1163, *Obsolete* Series VM Switches

On the boltswitch website, I see that this style is "Obsolete" and was wondering if they can be used. Is there any way to buy a separate ground fault relay to make it compliant since it will be powering over 1000A? In addition, can something like this replace a traditional switchboard? We are planing on using it as the only disconnect for a really big heater.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I found the following Bolted Pressure Contact Switch and I was wondering if they are complaint with NEC and specifically 230.95.

https://boltswitch.com/outline.html O-1163, *Obsolete* Series VM Switches

On the boltswitch website, I see that this style is "Obsolete" and was wondering if they can be used. Is there any way to buy a separate ground fault relay to make it compliant since it will be powering over 1000A? In addition, can something like this replace a traditional switchboard? We are planing on using it as the only disconnect for a really big heater.
If this is a disconnect only, it would not need GF if that protection is provided by an upstream device.

Do you really mean 230.95? Is this the service equipment main?

My experience is these switches need to be rebuilt in order to add shunt trip capability.

rotmgbetter

Occupation
Researcher
Yes. This will be the service equipment main right after the transformer for this device. It seems like there is a shunt trip capability but no ground fault protection. Is it viable to just put a ground fault relay that then trips the shunt trip operator?
1721781201856.png

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Yes. This will be the service equipment main right after the transformer for this device. It seems like there is a shunt trip capability but no ground fault protection. Is it viable to just put a ground fault relay that then trips the shunt trip operator?
Yes. That is also what the label says.