Are wire cutters really suitable for cutting wire?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I came across this YouTube video looking at the performance of typical shearing (bypass) type wire cutter/stripper combination tools. It seems hard to believe that typical performance is really that bad, so I would like to hear about your experiences.
Among other things, how many of you regularly use this design wire cutter rather than the mating blade (diagonal cutter) style.
Also, what is your collective experience with Knippex brand tools?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
When I started you could cut the 6-32 screws with that type of cutter without damaging the cutting edge. Have not been able to do that for a long time as they cheapen up the production of the product.
That being said, that is still my preferred type of cutter for 10 and smaller.

I came across this YouTube video looking at the performance of typical shearing (bypass) type wire cutter/stripper combination tools. It seems hard to believe that typical performance is really that bad, so I would like to hear about your experiences.
That is not my experience at all. I typically use the Klein strippers that are similar to the ones in the beginning, curved blue handle, but that dont have the romex sheath cutter dies. I cut solid and stranded with them all day and they last a good year I would say - pretty much until i cut a hot wire! They cut stranded wire just fine and cleanly with no fold over. Either he keeps getting defective units somehow or he is abusing them behind the scenes somehow. I suspect the latter.

TwistLock

Occupation
Electrician
Tried Knipex linesman's - rivet loosened within a month, was actually not impressed with cutting strength, went back to Klein lineman's. Klein's lineman's weigh more too so work better for tapping / hammering. Also my preference leans towards thin grips anyways, fat grips look good but I find improved dexterity with thinner grip and thin grips are easier to holster into crowded pouches, bags, or pockets. (Knipex has that option of course).
I believe Klein makes different grades / tempered products in legacy hand tools? Red handle side cutters vs blue handle side cutters as one example? With tools shown in video maybe Klein sees a trade advantage to spending half and replacing more often, than doubling the cost, for more consistent performance?

Don't want to make anyone nauseous but I purchased a pair of Commercial Electric 'long nose' recently (video referred to brand as 'General' Electric). I messed up my wrist and while it heals I needed a stripper whose teeth are close to handle for less leverage strain. They're not ideal or sexy but I sort of like the design now and they're holding up. I took a belt sander to edges, blued them & adjusted the stripping dies (they stay put). I'd like to see other brands offer something similar.

CE Long Nose.jpg

Last edited:
I know there is lots of talk out there how "Klein stuff sucks now" or "is not what it used to be", but I find it to be just fine. I am pretty hard on my stuff: use dykes and linesman's to cut nails and other steel stuff (no copper only policy), use as a hammer, use to pry out stuff. I really cant recall ever having a pair "wear out" or not cut well. For me, losing them or cutting a hot wire is usually how they meet their end.