Area Electrical Classification Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc3l

Is there anything in the code(s) that state you are required to have a certificate or be certified to determine an areas electrical classification? Is formal training required or a good working knowledge and understanding of NPFA 70 and 497 adequate? My experience has been reading and interpreting both codes noted.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Is there anything in the code(s) that state you are required to have a certificate or be certified to determine an areas electrical classification? Is formal training required or a good working knowledge and understanding of NPFA 70 and 497 adequate? My experience has been reading and interpreting both codes noted.

my understanding is that in general this is between your employer and your employer's insurance company.

bilbo336

Area classification is a somewhat complex process and a proper area class study should involve the mechanical and process folks as well as an electrical type. API RP-500 is the definitive document in classified areas and classifying areas.

bilbo336
"still confused but on a higher level about more important things"

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The NEC has never required specific personal certification for classifying to Divisions (Articles 500-503); however, from 1996 to 2005, Zone classifications were required to be by a Licensed or Registered Professional Engineer. While that requirement was dropped in the 2008, FedOSHA and several State OSHA’s still require it for Zone installations within their jurisdiction.

Many local jurisdictions require all hazardous location designs to be sealed by a Licensed or Registered Professional Engineer – but that is the limit of “certification” required.

I'm rather fond of API RP 500. I was an author/editor from 1991 to 2003. Nevertheless, it is only a recommended practice - that’s what “RP” means. There is no single “definitive document” for electrical area classification. It is a matter of application and context. See the list of relevant electrical area classification documents in Section 500.4(B) FPN/INs. I was a Technical Committee member of several of those documents as well (NFPA 496/497/499). Just an aside; both the API Subcommittee on Electrical Equipment (RP 500/505) and the NFPA Technical Committee for Electrical Equipment in Chemical Atmospheres (496/497/499) are made up entirely of electrical personnel.

For Articles 510 to 516 you can usually determine electrical area classification within the Article.

Status
Not open for further replies.