Area of rescue (refuge) systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhalleron

I was reading on another post where Gadfly56 mentioned riser wiring for those systems might need to be CI cable or 2 hour rated.

On one of my jobs, I quote fire security and area of rescue equipment and we do include wire on many of them. I've never quoted or been asked for 2 hour rated cable for anything other than a voice alarm system with selective evacuation.

Anyone know what code or where else I might read up on area of rescue requirements? That's one area I have never received training on.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I was reading on another post where Gadfly56 mentioned riser wiring for those systems might need to be CI cable or 2 hour rated.

On one of my jobs, I quote fire security and area of rescue equipment and we do include wire on many of them. I've never quoted or been asked for 2 hour rated cable for anything other than a voice alarm system with selective evacuation.

Anyone know what code or where else I might read up on area of rescue requirements? That's one area I have never received training on.

See section 6.9.10.4 in the 2007 edition of NFPA 72. It covers partial evacuation and relocation (areas of refuge) where emergency voice/alarm systems are involved.

dhalleron

I'm talking about the system that is basically an intercom, not a voice alarm system. Example is the fire alarm is activated and the elevators are not supposed to be used. A handicapped person that went to the upper floors on the elevator needs help getting down the stairs. It gets called both area of refuge and rescue by many people.

I don't think NFPA 72 6.9.10.4 really addresses that system.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I'm talking about the system that is basically an intercom, not a voice alarm system. Example is the fire alarm is activated and the elevators are not supposed to be used. A handicapped person that went to the upper floors on the elevator needs help getting down the stairs. It gets called both area of refuge and rescue by many people.

If you're talking about new construction and it's high rise (>75 feet from lowest point of fire fighter access to bottom of habitable floor), your system had better conform! At least if you're using the 2006 edition of the IBC. This is serious life-safety stuff. In New Jersey, at least, you can't just slap in any old intercom system and call it good.

nhfire77

I've seen these in a lot of elderly housing new construction, it doesn't appear to be a life safety system, more of an auxiliary system. They are placed close to the floor so someone can crawl up to it, it's like a nurse call system, but it's monitored by a remote facility.

dhalleron

I don't install them. I quote equipment from manufacturers that make them for this purpose. It seems to be a life safety system, and is required by some AHJ's. I need to get more training on them to understand them better. Thanks for the input.

Stallzer

An area of Refuge / Rescue system is in case there is a Handi-capped person or someone that could not get down stairs in the event the elevators went into Fire mode. Area's of Refuge MUST be in a 2 hour fire rated area and the object is to inform First responders that there is someone or people that need assistance getting out of a building. Yes it is an intercom but also a critical system that should also be on emergency power. You MUST check with your local codes and Building officials to see if Circuit integrity cable is required or if the cable will be in Conduit then CIC (Circuit integrity conduit) cable would be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.