Arizona License

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I'm considering becoming licensed in AZ and they use the Thompson Prometric test as their standard. I'm wondering if all the Thompson tests are the same or do they vary from state to state on the degree of difficulty and content? I'm also wondering if I can take the AZ test from my main residence in Wisconsin? I do have an AZ address but I'm only there a few weeks out of the year right now. As usual, all comments are welcomed.

dlhoule

Wow, I don't know of any state where you can take test from a remote location. How would they monitor it? How could they know if someone much more knowledgeable were actually doing the test? Good luck on this one. Let us know if you can take in from a different location.

m73214 said:
I'm considering becoming licensed in AZ and they use the Thompson Prometric test as their standard. I'm wondering if all the Thompson tests are the same or do they vary from state to state on the degree of difficulty and content? I'm also wondering if I can take the AZ test from my main residence in Wisconsin? I do have an AZ address but I'm only there a few weeks out of the year right now. As usual, all comments are welcomed.

ICC is the same but the test are only available in the state offering the test.
Too bad... it would be nice to collect all 50 state licenses with out ever stepping across the border.
Collect them all & get a free carrying case!

dlhoule said:
How would they monitor it? How could they know if someone much more knowledgeable were actually doing the test?

Uh... Like..... the same way they monitor any test they offer. SS# Photo ID.
Other wise I'd quit my day job & take these test for anyone who would pay me to sit in for them.
Did you say 73214 wasn't knowledgeable????

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I just spoke with Thompson and was told with the exception of 4 or 5 states, a person can take ANY states exam in their current state. So I just answered my own question....Yes, I can take Arizonas test in the state of Wisconsin.

jeff43222

Minnesota would be one of those exceptions. The exam is written and administered by the state and offered only in the state. We do have reciprocity with several states, but Wisconsin and Arizona are not on the list.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Wisconsin is also one of those states. They write and administer their own test too. Ok, who are the other ones?

bauler

AZ contractors license

AZ contractors license

Be sure to read up on Arizona's sales tax law. AKA "Transaction Privilege Tax" There are a lot of questions about it on the law test. When I took the test there about 4 years ago I read up on everything else but this tax. They will ask you things like, When is the due date for Form TPT XX. Didn't have a clue what this form was.

In Arizona you buy all your materials resale and then charge tax on about 2/3 of the entire job, labor and materials. Unless its for a general contractor, then you get an exemption form, Form "whatever they call it". I was fortunate that I aced the estimating and other business parts, so I passed. When you are done the test giver will give you a breakdown of your score on various parts of the test.

I ended up going to a seminar provided by the state to understand how to properly apply this tax and report it monthly. Its a real pain in the xxx. Some cities you have to report this tax to directly, but most you report it to the state.

There is a separate license for residential and commercial, and one that is combined. Besides you have to have a Sellers Permit, 2 bonds. One for the contractors license and one for the tax board. Then you you get to pay into the residential recovery fund. Be sure to read through all their brochures. It can be very confusing.

Good Luck

jeff43222

Wow -- glad I don't live in Arizona. What a complicated mess.

I don't have to charge sales tax on anything I install, which keeps the paperwork to a minimum. I have one state EC license, one state master electrician license, and I'm good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.