Arlington AnyBodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

I've seen them at the supply house, and I understand their value. I haven't been able to bring myself to buy or use one, however. They just look ridiculous, and lots of places for potential water entry. I keep a few LB's on the truck. The LB is what you need 9 times out of 10 anyhow. If you need something other than an LB, chances are you're going to need to run for other weird stuff anyhow. I'm just not on-board with the AnyBody. Sorry.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
mdshunk said:
and lots of places for potential water entry.

I used two 3" metal ones and had to replace a ceiling tile in a restaurant. They have rubber gaskets but still leak.

frizbeedog

mdshunk said:
They just look ridiculous, and lots of places for potential water entry.

Try it you may like it.

They have gaskets under each entry flange. And they are sturdy and well constructed.

mdshunk

frizbeedog said:
Try it you may like it.
I have no doubt that they would be handy. I just can't bring myself to use something that looks like crap like that. Like somebody said earlier, as time passes, they might grow on me and I might stock one on the truck. I'd probably get a 3/4", since I can use that same one for 1/2 also with bushings. If I'm going to use something ugly like that, the use of bushings can't make it any worse.

peter d

mdshunk said:
I have no doubt that they would be handy. I just can't bring myself to use something that looks like crap like that.

I hear you loud and clear about the ugliness of that thing. But is anyone other than an electrician going to care the slightest bit what an LB looks like? Or even know what they are looking at in the first place?

mdshunk

peter d said:
I hear you loud and clear about the ugliness of that thing. But is anyone other than an electrician going to care the slightest bit what an LB looks like? Or even know what they are looking at in the first place?
You're probably exactly right. I keep telling myself that all the time, but sometimes I don't listen. You might remember my "is good enough okay most of the time" thread a while back. Most people don't know electrical artwork from a job just compliantly done. I guess sometimes we just need to get over ourselves.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
chris kennedy said:
I used two 3" metal ones and had to replace a ceiling tile in a restaurant. They have rubber gaskets but still leak.
I should add that this occured under abnormal conditions. It was a reroof of a flat roof of a strip mall and I ended up right under the low spot so this thing was subjected to a river for a long peroid of time.

The new rain gutters were installed over it and I painted it with elastomeric and it hasn't leaked again. It's been a couple weeks and we have had heavy rain a few times.

peter d

mdshunk said:
I guess sometimes we just need to get over ourselves.

There is definitely something to be said for that. :)

There have been a few occasions where I wasn't terribly happy with the outcome of a job (appearance wise), and then the customer came along and said "Wow...that looks really nice!" I felt a lot better after that.

Podagrower

I have used a 3/4 version on a job and it is not the prettiest thing, but it does get the job done.

I'm really tempted to order several of them, and then install all the hubs on one body-with pipes going all over the place-just to give the inspector something to look at.:D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They seem to be useful for an application where you need to regularly change the configuration, but not to use on a regular basis. It looks like you don't know how to buy the right parts.

Now, if I wanted to put several bodies' worth of hubs on a single body to make a Frankenstein's fitting, that would be fun to play with, but that's probably against the product's listing.

Added: The site implies three hubs is the limit.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
After looking over the links on that page, there's nothing that says you're only permitted to make standard configurations. You could make fittings that otherwise don't exist.

The body has openings on both ends, one end of the back, two on one long side, and one on the other long side. You could make a 2-prong pitchfork, or a combo C and back-T or side-T, or . . .

jdsmith

LarryFine said:
After looking over the links on that page, there's nothing that says you're only permitted to make standard configurations. You could make fittings that otherwise don't exist.

The body has openings on both ends, one end of the back, two on one long side, and one on the other long side. You could make a 2-prong pitchfork, or a combo C and back-T or side-T, or . . .

Yep, we had a project last summer where there are three or four in some custom configurations. They were pretty well shielded from water so I can't offer any insight into their leakage though. I still have a few 1/2" and 3/4" Anybodys, I don't know if I'd use them again though unless I needed a custom configuration.

220/221

I never use anything but LB's or (1/2") pulling ells.

I have tons of old ll's. lr's etc that have been laying around the warehouse for ever (from a liquidation sale somewhere) but never, ever need them.

LL or LR, just bend the conduit. The T's or straight thu, just use a JB.

Kind of like a WP JB?

Last edited:

tyha

i think one of my guys said that the cu inch capacity was smaller? is this true? on another note i was in a home depot the other day and noticed that they carry alot of emt fittings that the supply house doesn't have. some of the stuff i didnt even know existed. like an emt inside corner 90 where it had a cover that came off.maybe i havent been in the field in a while but it was new to me. i like thier flex connectors that thread into the flex. man if i had those when i was cutting in boxes years ago it would have saved me alot of time, and sheetrock mud from having to fix where the screw on the connector is.

Status
Not open for further replies.