Armored fiber bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbaevergreen

Occupation
IT Systems Engineer
A few weeks ago on another thread it was determined that I can't have Cat6 between my house and detached garage because the garage is wired with the older 3-wire feeder setup. Therefore it's possible that "real" voltage could go over my outdoor Cat6 shield.

What happens with something like this (buried in conduit)? https://www.amazon.com/Jeirdus-100feet-Outdoor-Singlemode-30Meters/dp/B07VWVBHCF

I planned to transition (using a coupler) to indoor non-armored cables going to the converters/switches right after the cables enter each building. I can't access the armor easily to ground it at either side (and definitely don't want to ground it at both sides). The alternative was to attempt indoor non-armored fiber patch cables in conduit - recognizing that this isn't ideal and it might break/freeze, but can't "short out" per-se either as it's non-conductive.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
See 2020 NEC 770.93 what you describe is covered there, this is not a forum for DIY advice.
I have never seen nor run fiberoptic cable with an armored metallic sheath.
All I have ever done is underground PVC buried ~24IN deep and the fiber gets 'blown in' the conduit.
The local POCO here blows it right in the same conduit as the service lateral in the downtown where they supply fiber service.
You might even be able to blow it in your existing conduit to your garage, avoiding the trenching.

Status
Not open for further replies.