ART 250.140 3 wire cooktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_p

Hi,

Roughing in a kitchen. I ran a 6/2 Romex for a cooktop. a Wolf C1365C. Owners manual calls for a 240V 50A 3 wire circuit. Actually has a warning not to ground the cooktop to a neutral / white wire.

Looking at 250.140 i am wondering if i need to change it to a 6/3, seems like a waste of time money just to cap off the white.

Is this a violation or do the manufacturers instructions over ride 250.140?

Thanks for any help.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't understand your concern. If the appliance doesn't require a neutral you don't need to run one.

250.140 states that the frame of the appliance must be grounded which you are doing.

The exception allows grounding via the neutral for existing circuits but this doesn't apply to your installation. If you had run a 6/3 without ground then you would have a problem.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Hi,

Roughing in a kitchen. I ran a 6/2 Romex for a cooktop. a Wolf C1365C. Owners manual calls for a 240V 50A 3 wire circuit. Actually has a warning not to ground the cooktop to a neutral / white wire.

Looking at 250.140 i am wondering if i need to change it to a 6/3, seems like a waste of time money just to cap off the white.

Thanks for any help.

If the cooktop is literally a 3-wire appliance as in, two hots and a ground, you don't need to change it. Originally I thought you were confusing the directions, as if there were three wires and a ground and the warning was to keep the ground seperate from the neutral.

darkov

Hi,

Thanks for any help.
This might help

8894ff0a3f65af3c9a8f0bf98141e8df.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.