Art 680.2 , 680.14

Status
Not open for further replies.

BArmy

Occupation
inspector
As the NEC 2020 states in 680.2 & 14 the wiring methods must be corrosive resistant. I presume if an electrical panel is in the indoor pool equipment room with the pumps, chemicals and so forth it must be a 4X panel All wiring methods, lights, boxes, supports anchors, etc... Any rebuttals?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
As the NEC 2020 states in 680.2 & 14 the wiring methods must be corrosive resistant. I presume if an electrical panel is in the indoor pool equipment room with the pumps, chemicals and so forth it must be a 4X panel All wiring methods, lights, boxes, supports anchors, etc... Any rebuttals?
If it only actually says "wiring methods" than the enclosure and other things that are not "wiring methods" would appear not to be covered.

BArmy

Occupation
inspector
So what is then considered a wiring method? Wiring methods are addressed in Art300.6 take a look. So piping going to a panel or a box is covered but not the box or panel,\!? perplexed

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I hear what Bob is saying but I have seen panel boxes corrode so badly that the busbar tabs were chalk. IMO, the intent is for the panel also but I am often wrong on these issues.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I hear what Bob is saying but I have seen panel boxes corrode so badly that the busbar tabs were chalk. IMO, the intent is for the panel also but I am often wrong on these issues.
Is intent of the code ever enforceable?

I agree it is a good idea, but good ideas are not enforceable either, unless the buyer puts it in the contract.

BArmy

Occupation
inspector
Lets go back to the original question. Art 680.2 (Corrosive Environment) states: Areas where pool sanitation chemicals are stored, handled, or dispensed etc.. Art 680.14 (Wiring Methods) Wiring methods in corrosive environments shall be listed and identified for use in such areas. Then it goes on to says what types of piping can be used is these environments. So the definition of wiring methods is only the piping means? So FLNC or LFMC is not allowed, wasn't mentiond. With that said- what IS a wiring method? As far as I can see it is defined in Art 300.6 and does not stop at piping types. Anyone know an email or phone # to the code making panel for this section?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Lets go back to the original question. Art 680.2 (Corrosive Environment) states: Areas where pool sanitation chemicals are stored, handled, or dispensed etc.. Art 680.14 (Wiring Methods) Wiring methods in corrosive environments shall be listed and identified for use in such areas. Then it goes on to says what types of piping can be used is these environments. So the definition of wiring methods is only the piping means? So FLNC or LFMC is not allowed, wasn't mentiond. With that said- what IS a wiring method? As far as I can see it is defined in Art 300.6 and does not stop at piping types. Anyone know an email or phone # to the code making panel for this section?
If you have a question to ask you can submit it online. They will only give you a yes or no answer so you have to frame it so a yes or no answer suffices.

eeinewton

New User
Occupation
Engineer
Hello - It sounds like I am not the only one with questions about "corrosive environments" in 680.14. I have a pool equipment (pump/filter) room, so wiring methods in the room need to be "listed and identified for use in such areas." 680.22(5) requires at least one 125V receptacle in the pool equipment room. Is there such a thing as a 125V receptacle that is listed for use in a corrosive environment?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Bob, wiring methods are covered in Chapter 3. Panelboards and receptacles are in Chapter 4.

Part I. General Requirements
300.1 Scope.
(A) All Wiring Installations. This article covers general requirements for wiring methods and materials for all wiring installations unless modified by other articles in Chapter 3.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Add a cord cover ... just a thought

Just do a google search

Locking Devices, Twist-Lock®, Corrosion Resistant Single Flush Receptacle, 20A, 125V AC, 2 Pole, 3 Wire Grounding, Yellow

Locking Devices, Twist-Lock®, Corrosion Resistant Single Flush Receptacle, 20A, 125V AC, 2 Pole, 3 Wire Grounding, Yellow

By Hubbell Wiring Device-Kellems
Catalog ID: HBL23CM10
So you put that receptacle in a PVC box with PVC cover, that has short nipple into panelboard with a stainless/gasketed cabinet. You might even duct seal the nipple, but that don't make the bus bars inside any less corrosion resistant, just keeps that environment away from them better than a typical NEMA 1 cabinet does. Over time they still are effected. but one maybe needs to consider what sort of time may be realistic in some situations. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.