Art 700 wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Construction has installed an Inverter to act as the source for an “emergency” lighting system. They’re saying the wiring has to be in a separate conduit, but I don’t believe this meets the criteria of art 700, ie there is no genset involved and I don’t believe human life is at risk.
Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I don't see language in 700.1 scope and 700.2 Emergency Systems that limits a 700 system to generators.
Its common in larger buildings to install inverters for E lighting instead of multiple bug eye lights. A army base and naval station I instructed classes at always used inverters for e lighting. The interter would of course be listed as a e-light source.
If the inverter or wiring fails then there would be a risk to human life, unless I am misunderstanding something

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
My opinion is, that you are incorrect. In fact, I believe that the wiring between, for example an emergency/exit light and a remote head outside the door is a "legally required emergency system" You inverter and the associated load wiring is a "legally required emergency system" and as such must be wired per article 700.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
My opinion is, that you are incorrect. In fact, I believe that the wiring between, for example an emergency/exit light and a remote head outside the door is a "legally required emergency system" You inverter and the associated load wiring is a "legally required emergency system" and as such must be wired per article 700.

Agreed — thanks to Tom and Strathead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.