Art 800 comm cable "required" in conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitehm

Does anyone know if Art 800 comm cable is "required" to be in coduit or other raceway? 800.133 starts the installation requirements and mentions several times "shall be permitted" when addressing raceways but I can't find anything that says it's "required". Any help appreciated.

hitehm

AFAIK comm cables are never required to be in a raceway.

Thanks..and I had to look up AFAIK. I'm terrible with abbrevs and acronyms. Also, Do you know if the code specifically mentions that comm cable, or any other limited energy cabling for that matter, is NOT required in raceways?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Thanks..and I had to look up AFAIK. I'm terrible with abbrevs and acronyms. Also, Do you know if the code specifically mentions that comm cable, or any other limited energy cabling for that matter, is NOT required in raceways?
Not As Far As I Know. But the requirement to use raceway in the first place is applied to specific wire types in Chapter 3.
So if you are using limited power or comm cable you are not restricted to using a Chapter 3 method in the first place.
Note that when you reclassify Class 2 circuits to Class 1 so that they can be run with power wiring you are activating Chapter 3 requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.