Article 210.52F 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

Article 210.52F:

When applying this article while doing a multi family dwelling calculation question. Where the question says, "No laundry". Wouldn't we have to calculate in the required 1500va regardless of the statement, "No laundry". Assuming the question means no facility laundry. Where as meeting the code requirement under Article 210.11(C)(2)?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Article 210.52F 2002

210.52(F) exception 1 and more importantly, number two, doesn't require a receptacle where there is no laundry in multifamily. No load present, no load supplied. ;)

resistance

I see your point, yet wouldn't the 1500va laundry circuit (210.11C2) be required for each unit, if multi family building, with no laundry (meaning: No shared laundry)?

[ March 29, 2005, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: resistance ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

If the question says no laundry and it's in a multifamily dwelling unit, chances are it's on the level, and you're risking overthinking it.

As a caution, I have the 2005 sitting here. My 2002's in the truck, and I'm too lazy to verify that it has two exceptions to this code. I see no change bar, for what it's worth.
Exception No. 2: In other than one-family dwellings where laundry facilties are not to be installed or permitted, a laundry receptacle shall not be required.
I'd say, leave off the 1500VA, they're being honest. If a load doesn't exist, then you shouldn't have to include it. :D

Don't overthink it. :D

[ March 29, 2005, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

You described this as a ?dwelling calculation QUESTION.? That tells me you are dealing with a test or other training situation, and not a real life installation. If it were a real facility, you could just ask the owner to clarify the ?no laundry? statement. Does it mean ?no common laundry,? or does it mean ?nobody is allowed to have laundry machines,? or does it mean both?

But in a test, you are stuck trying to guess what the author of the test question had in mind. If you guess wrong, your answer will be graded as ?wrong.? I had a chemistry professor once who would go through the trouble taking each of the most likely mistakes a student could make, and finding out what incorrect answer the student would get, and then including that answer among the choices. You would solve the problem, see your answer, select that choice, and never know you got it wrong. :eek: I don?t know if any authors of electrical tests go through that much trouble.

Try to read the problem more clearly. Look for clues as to whether it is speaking of the facility as a whole (i.e., ?no common laundry?), or speaking of each and every individual unit. My suggestion is that if it is not clear, if it just says ?no laundry,? I would presume they meant no laundry anywhere ? no common laundry and no individual laundry.

69boss302

Charlie, did you have the same chemistry teacher I did in Nuc school? :D I had one that purposely taught us wrong so that our class would not pass the test. :mad: I know, hard to believe but we actually managed to prove it and he was relieved and transferred.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

It's not impossible. I when through nuke school in Vallejo and Idaho Falls, in 1976. But I was refering to a college professor. I'm sure he was not the only person to use that trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.