article 220 part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

xara

I have 3 questions:
in part IV of article 220, optional feeder and service load calculation, it says part IV is for feeder wire with a maximum ampacity of 100 or greater.
1. wouldn't this section apply to all feeders since a service must be 100 AMP or greater?
2. and could part IV have been used to calculate the load for annex D example d1a?
3. if either standard or optional feeder calculation can be used to calculate the load then how do they have multiple choice exams if there's more than one answer?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have 3 questions:
in part IV of article 220, optional feeder and service load calculation, it says part IV is for feeder wire with a maximum ampacity of 100 or greater.
1. wouldn't this section apply to all feeders since a service must be 100 AMP or greater?
A feeder is not the same as a service

2. and could part IV have been used to calculate the load for annex D example d1a?
Sure but if the question does not state to use the optional then I believe you must use the standard

3. if either standard or optional feeder calculation can be used to calculate the load then how do they have multiple choice exams if there's more than one answer?
I believe the question will state optional if that is what they want

xara

correction: where can I find the rule that says that they must ask you to use the optional rule in a question in order to use it? that doesn't make sense.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
correction: where can I find the rule that says that they must ask you to use the optional rule in a question in order to use it? that doesn't make sense.
There is no written rule... but if they do not ask you to use the optional method, use the standard (Part III) method by default

Status
Not open for further replies.