Article 230 - Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
IF you have multiple buildings on one site with a single owner with three buildings A, B and C. Building A has the switchboard you want to feed Building C with. Which in turn, will feed building B. All three buildings are connected structurally. None of the buildings have a utility meter. Is the feeder to building C considered a service conduit? Can the feeder be routed thru Buildings A and B?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Article 230 - Services

How are three buildings connected structurally? They're not one building?

And noone's charging them for power? No meter anywhere?

Service conductors can only enter a building and be disconnected nearest the point of entrance per the NEC. Local AHJ's view this distance differently, but never over 20'.

Can you give us more details?

macmikeman

When I drive around the various millitary bases around the Island I live on I often see buildings with no metering at all. Must be one really huge ct can on the back of the guard shack at the gate..

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I do not understand your routing, as you have two contradictory statements:
Originally posted by samblv: Building A has the switchboard you want to feed Building C with. Which in turn, will feed building B.
This description conflicts with the following:
Can the feeder be routed thru Buildings A and B?
The conflict is that the first statement says power goes from A to C and then to B, whereas the second statement says that power goes from A to B to C.

This is what I think you are trying to describe. Please tell me if I have it right or wrong:
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Power comes from the utility (we don't know where the meter is) to a switchboard in Building A.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There is a breaker on that switchboard, and it provides power to some type of panel in Building C.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There is a breaker on that panel (in Building C), and it provides power to some type of panel in Building B.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If that is the correct description, then the wires coming into Building A are "service conductors," and the wires going to Buildings C and B are "feeders."

jwelectric

Charlie, notice this statement:

originally posted by samblv All three buildings are connected structurally.
So I just passed it by until those with more knowledge than me had a chance to answer.
:)

Edited to add:
those with more knowledge such as these.

BE sure to follow the second link.
:D :D :D

[ September 26, 2005, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Good point, Mike.
Originally posted by samblv:All three buildings are connected structurally.
This could mean that there is a covered walkway from building to building. It could also mean that C shares a wall with A on one side, and that C shares a wall with B on the other side. So what do you really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.