Article 240.24 (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davegar

Are there any limits to the size of a clothes closet before overcurrent protect can be installed in this location?

lightnin

Re: Article 240.24 (D)

Just something to think about. If you had your 3' minimum clear distance per Table 110.26A 1 and 30" width of working space the AHJ might let it pass. There still might be a safety issue though. How far do sparks fly? :eek:

bphgravity

This section of the code is fairly vague. I don't know how close "vicinity" is and would have to make a judgement call for each specific situation. I think there are better places to place a panelboard or other OCD's than a closet anyway.

milwaukeesteve

That is hard to define, especially since everyone has their own opinion.

I went through a house the other day (house shopping right now), the master 'closet' was over the garage -- over the WHOLE 2 1/2 car garage.
Yet this was the master closet and could only be reached through the master bed beyond the master bath. I think the closet even had a closet.
Given that there were rows of shelving, at what point could you say yeah or nay to a panel in that closet/room. There were walls available for clearence.

Yet if you built a room inside that closet/room, just for the panel and NOTHING else, could you call it an electrical room like Steve66 had suggested?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

(D) Not in Vicinity of Easily Ignitible Material. Overcurrent devices shall not be located in the vicinity of easily ignitible material, such as in clothes closets.
I'm going to get hammered for this, but, in my opinion, this section does not specifically forbid panels in clothes closets. The prohibition is panels in the vicinity of easily ignitible material, the clothes closet is just an example of a location that may contain easily ignitable material. I agree that in most cases, the section would prohibit the installation of a panel in a clothes closet, but I don't agree that this is always the case. In some of the larger walk in closets, it would be very easy to install the panel and have in not be in the vicinity of easily ignitable material.
Don

redfish

It seems that sometimes it takes longer to settle on a panel location then it takes to wire the house. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.