Article 328...I'm confused. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

midget

Okay, so I was just thumbing threw my code book aimlessly the other day, and I stumbled acrossed article 328 (Flat Conductor Cable, '99 NEC). I skimmed over the article, and I'm not too sure abou this stuff...

"328-1 Scope. This article covers a field-installed wiring systemfor branch circuits incorperating Type FCC cable and associated accessories as defined by thei article. The wiring system is designed for installation under carpet squares."

Okay...here's the first part I'm confused about. How can it be OK to install something under carpet? I would think it would be subjected to damage from people walking on it, etc. Or are "carpet squares" different than carpet? From reading part of 328-10, I think the Code does mean something different than normal carpet.

Secondly, when I was typing this first question, I accidently started reading the wrong thing...which leads me to my next question. In 328-2, a cable connector is defined as "a connector designed to join Type FCC cables without using a junction box." So, basically, you're making a splice which is not in a j-box...is it accessible though?

"328-10. Coverings. Floor-mounted FCC cable, cable connectors, and insulating ends shall be covered with carpet squares not larger than 36 in. square. Those carpet squares that are adhered to the floor shall be attached with release-type adhesives."

Does this mean the carpet could be easily removed, in a section, and not damage the cables, conectors, etc?

Why can't it be used in resedential, school, and/or hospital buildings? (328-5). How many places does that leave for it to be used? There is no specific Code article dealing with electrical installations in schools, is there? It says it's permitted in damp locations (328-4 (d)) but not outdoors, or in wet locations (328-5(1)). This makes me think there is a defintion of Wet and Damp, and they are different. Is this true? How do they differ? I checked Article 100 for definitions of Wet and Damp, and I did not see either of those terms in there.

Okay, it's time for me to sleep now...lol...plus I haven't really got enough understanding of the rest of the article to even formulate questions. Thanks guys. :D

[ January 04, 2005, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: midget ]

midget

Re: Article 328...I'm confused. :D

Thanks for the info...I'll take a look at it when I get home from school. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.