Article 386 Question

Sparky2791

Hello!

I am curious if 386.22 (2) & (3) are to include the equipment ground when determining the number of and the cross sectional area of the conductors in the raceway. Oddly I thought I would look up the NEC's definition of Conductor and was surprised to see it does not offer one for just the word conductor. Yes, it offers others these being, Conductor, Bare, Conductor, Covered, & Conductor , Insulated. Nothing to define what the NEC considers a conductor.

Thanks for the replies

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
386.22 Number of Conductors or Cables.
The number of conductors or cables installed in surface metal raceway shall not be greater than the number for which the raceway is designed. Cables shall be permitted to be installed where such use is not prohibited by the respective cable articles.
The adjustment factors of 310.15(C)(1) shall not apply to conductors installed in surface metal raceways where all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The cross-sectional area of the raceway exceeds 2500 mm2 (4 in.2).
(2) The current-carrying conductors do not exceed 30 in number.
(3) The sum of the cross-sectional areas of all contained conductors does not exceed 20 percent of the interior cross-sectional area of the surface metal raceway.

The EGC would not be included in (2) because it is not a CCC. It would be included in (3) because it is part of "all contained conductors".