Article 406 Receptacles Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llary the TN

Occupation
Electrical Design Engineer
I have a contractor who is refusing to comply with 406.5(D) because the installation is in a wet location and they say only 406.9 applies, not 406.5.
I would interpret 406.5 and 406.9 to not be mutually exclusive and the requirements of 406.9 to be in addition to the requirements of 406.5, not in place of.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice on this?

d0nut

How are they not complying with 406.5(D)? I don't know that I have seen a receptacle faceplate that wouldn't comply.

Llary the TN

Occupation
Electrical Design Engineer
How are they not complying with 406.5(D)? I don't know that I have seen a receptacle faceplate that wouldn't comply.
The receptacles are recessed back into the box such that there's about a 4-5mm gap between the faceplate and the receptacle inside. They also didn't install any gaskets.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The receptacles are recessed back into the box such that there's about a 4-5mm gap between the faceplate and the receptacle inside. They also didn't install any gaskets.
They need to be installed per the manufacturers instructions which would include using the gaskets. What kind of faceplates?
Sounds like the sparky is wrong.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It sound like one of the WP covers where there are inserts to match the device installed. I've seen such when they use the decora insert on a duplex leaving a gap. If so, the answer is with infinity's post #6.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

You’re saying the receptacle is recessed back in from the wallplate with a 5mm gap?

I agree with you the two codes aren’t mutually exclusive. I can’t imagine that’s compliant with the installation instructions either. And also I wouldn’t consider that a “workmanlike manner.”

You can’t fully insert a plug if the receptacle is recessed from the wallplate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.