Article 408.4 and existing loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

JNMoffa

Hello all, I've been lurking here for years and constantly impressed by the level of knowledge a lot of you possess. Hopefully your input can give me some insight.

I'm working as the engineer of record for a small medical office TI. We are utilizing a few existing circuits that are exclusively feeding this suite as well as replacing some HVAC units and reusing those circuits as well, all coming out of the same panel. The rest of the circuits in that panel are unmarked - there is no panel schedule/directory and the drawings from 1973 are inaccurate. The circuits clearly provide power to other suites on the floor and at least another HVAC unit, but that's all I can determine.

I am receiving a plan check correction for the existing panel load, which will require 30 day monitoring and I am fine with, but he's also calling out Article 408.4. He's claiming that every existing circuit has to be traced out, loads identified (number of receptacles, lights, etc.) and listed on the panel schedule. Has anyone encountered this before?

I have claimed that this is an existing field condition and needs to be field verified, which he somewhat agreed to, but then wants me to "sign-off" on the field verified panel schedule before issuing a final for this job. Liability for my work is one thing, taking on liability on the word of a contractor who conducts the survey is entirely different.

Your thoughts are appreciated,
-J

dkidd

Occupation
PE
See your state regulations.

See
http://www.ncbels.org/forms/certifyingrecorddrawings.pdf

http://www.lapels.com/docs/laws_and...nts/FinalSignedAsBuiltOpinionforengineers.pdf
for example.

An example of a disclaimer is:

These compiled engineering as-built record drawings are a compilation of a copy
of the original sealed engineering design drawings for this project, modified by
addenda, change orders and information furnished by the contractor. The
information shown on these compiled engineering as-built record drawings that
was provided by the contractor or others not associated with me cannot be
verified for accuracy or completeness. My compilation of this information does
not relieve the contractor of responsibility for errors resultant to incorrect,
incomplete or omitted data on the contractor's as-built record drawings - nor does
it relieve the contractor of responsibility for non-conformance with the original
contract documents. The 01iginal sealed engineering drawings are on file in the
offices of~~~~~~~~~

iwire

Staff member
I am receiving a plan check correction for the existing panel load, which will require 30 day monitoring and I am fine with, but he's also calling out Article 408.4. He's claiming that every existing circuit has to be traced out, loads identified (number of receptacles, lights, etc.) and listed on the panel schedule.

408.4 does not apply retroactively any more than any code rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.