Article 422.13

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
I was looking at Mike Holts book and came across this.Why is this calculation on mike holts book a 10awg and not a 12 awg?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
Also #12 is limited to 20 amps except for a few instances. 240.4(D)
Thats true but i don’t think that applies to this question. It makes complete sense now that you explained it , no further info was given so 60 degrees must be used. Thank you

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was looking at Mike Holts book and came across this.Why is this calculation on mike holts book a 10awg and not a 12 awg?
#12 is limited to 20 amps by 240.4(D) for a water heater regardless of wiring method. Even if you had a 75° C wiring method like MC cable you're still limited to 20 amps even though for #12 AWG at 75° C the ampacity is 25 amps.

240.4(D) Small Conductors.
Unless specifically permitted in 240.4(E) or (G), the overcurrent protection shall not exceed that required by (D)(1) through (D)(7) after any correction factors for ambient temperature and number of conductors have been applied.
240.4(D)(5) 12 AWG Copper.
20 amperes

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thats true but i don’t think that applies to this question. It makes complete sense now that you explained it , no further info was given so 60 degrees must be used. Thank you
Why doesn't it apply to this question? What, in this question, makes you think that it doesn't apply.

kwired

Electron manager
Still end up with 10 AWG being required because of 240.4(D), even when 75 C ampacity table is allowed to be used.

sorry didn't read all posts before replying.